Science Forums

Cooking meat makes it more carcinoogenic? This sound right to you?

Bio-Hazard

Cooking protein-rich food at high temperatures, such as broiling or barbecuing meats, can lead to the formation of many potent carcinogens that are comparable to those found in cigarrette smoke (i.e., benzo[a]pyrene). Pre-cooking meats in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes before broiling can help minimize the formation of these carcinogens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen

What is the logic behind cooking food kills you more? I thought cooking meat was suppose to make things better. :confused:

The idea is that fat drips down from cooking meat, where it comes into contact with burning coal at moderately high temperature. This inefficiently oxidizes the fats into chemically complex molecules, which happen to be carcingens, which splatter back onto the meat (giving it that great smokey flavor). This accounts for much of the basic problem, but someone with a more recent exposure to organic chemistry should be able to elucidate the details further. Frying or broiling does this to a lesser degree, boiling not at all.

I am sorry but there seems to be a misunderstanding. If there wasnot a science called microbiology, then eating meat without cooking would be healthy.

unfortunately, the title is wrong. It should be carcinogenic effect of microwave heating..

In fact, eating meat without cooking is highly dangerous for human health as yuo know. Due to pathogen microorganisms etc.

When it comes to cancer, here is the reality. Microwave oven uses non-ionizing radiation for heating.

When it comes to ionizing radiation, there are dose limits that decide on the health effects.

If you examine the electromagnetic spectrum, you willsee what I men. Microwave ovens & cell phones are in similar characteristics. I advice you to read more. I may write detailed info on radioactivity, when I have time. That is all for now.