Science Forums

Turbine Engine

Hey everyone!

I'm starting a project with a classmate of mine, we're building a turbine engine out of a turbocharger from a diesel engine. We're planning on entering it in a science fair and we'll research how different fuels affect the turbine performance (exhaust temperature, thrust, etc).

We're still in the porcess of getting the turbo off of the motor (it's from a big mechanical shovel, the engine itself is about 5 ft wide and 4 ft tall), we would have gotten it by now but we don't have a saw (we have a hacksaw but the exhaust manifold is 1/2 inch thick!!!!) untill his dad gets it from his construction business.

I'll keep you guys, and gals, posted on how this all goes, any suggestions are appreciated.

Our ultimate goal is to build a gokart. It will have two turbone engines that are feeding eachother (one compressor to the others turbine and visa versa) and we'll make use of an afterburner. the afterburner, however, will not be a normal afterburner, we're going to inject nitrous oxide as well as fuel in so we can burn even more. I know we could do this in the combustion chamber but we can't have the temperature go over 1200 or 1500 degrees or the turbine blades might melt.

We have until april to build the turbine engine and me being a boarding student, i can only work on it during the weekends but I'm pretty confident we'll have it done on time.

we just got the thing off, well when I say we, I mean an employee of his dads. A 70 something year old got it off, even the unreachable bolts!!!

Anyways we plan to start work this saturday or during christmas break.

Just a word of caution, remember that you'll be dealing with a controlled explosion here and extreme care should be exercised during your experiments. Proper guards should be inplace to protect you from turbine disintegration in the event you overrev the machine. Also, have a fire extinguisher handy in case you find yourself in the midst of a backfire situation. Turbine engines are powerful machines and should not be underestimated, if you do not prepare carefully, you could get hurt. Get all the expert help and advice you can before you attempt this project. Good luck.........and be careful.