Science Forums

A fusion rocket designed to travel 500,000 mph is under construction

Vmedvil

On 8/25/2023 at 1:57 PM, Vmedvil said:

It seems a fusion rocket designed to travel at 500,000 mph is under construction, read more at Fusion rocket that goes 500,000 mph under construction - Big Think

Do you think that nuclear powered spacecraft will take us to Mars?

That is quite an impressive headline:

"A fusion rocket designed to travel 500,000 mph is under construction"

How in hell can anyone construct such a rocket when they don't even know what a working fusion reactor would look like?

Fusion reactors are still always a decade away, and one that would fit into a rocket may be 50 years or more away so I would say if someone is actually designing a fusion rocket, they are doing so blindly. And, where do they get the speed of 500,000 mph from?

I do think we will have nuclear-powered spacecraft someday but I wouldn't place much faith in this pop sci article.

6 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

That is quite an impressive headline:

"A fusion rocket designed to travel 500,000 mph is under construction"

How in hell can anyone construct such a rocket when they don't even know what a working fusion reactor would look like?

Fusion reactors are still always a decade away, and one that would fit into a rocket may be 50 years or more away so I would say if someone is actually designing a fusion rocket, they are doing so blindly. And, where do they get the speed of 500,000 mph from?

I do think we will have nuclear-powered spacecraft someday but I wouldn't place much faith in this pop sci article.

Mostly clickbait, a tiny ion thruster could achieve 500,000 mph... on the other hand there is supposedly (I'll need more than claims) a new idea that would allow fusion to be used as a rocket engine in intermittent blasts in space. Not the same as confinement fusion but as powerful as fusion and could be compared to a fusion torch rocket... still only 20 years away.