Science Forums

The history of humans is nail biting

atomsmasher

The history of humans is nail biting.

Why do we have nails?

Humans have fingernails because we are primates, evolved from forest-dwelling species.

It’s thought that fingernails are an evolutionary variation on claws. Our mammalian ancestors evolved away from claws and towards the broad-tipped fingers we have today.

https://tinyurl.com/554wh3ct

Monkeys and apes are primates, an order of mammals that have forward-facing eyes, large brains compared with their body weight, and—where other mammals have claws or hooves—flat nails on their fingers and toes. (Some primates do have claws, but that’s in addition to a flat nail on the big toe.)

https://tinyurl.com/mv75hs63

To understand humans, we need to claw our way back into the past.

Have you ever wondered why we have fingernails?

After all, they are not just for picking our nose.

Note: the problem with this forum is that it leaves little for discussion or debate. For this reason, you are free to depart from the OP

12 hours ago, atomsmasher said:

The history of humans is nail biting.

Why do we have nails?

Humans have fingernails because we are primates, evolved from forest-dwelling species.

It’s thought that fingernails are an evolutionary variation on claws. Our mammalian ancestors evolved away from claws and towards the broad-tipped fingers we have today.

https://tinyurl.com/554wh3ct

Monkeys and apes are primates, an order of mammals that have forward-facing eyes, large brains compared with their body weight, and—where other mammals have claws or hooves—flat nails on their fingers and toes. (Some primates do have claws, but that’s in addition to a flat nail on the big toe.)

https://tinyurl.com/mv75hs63

To understand humans, we need to claw our way back into the past.

Have you ever wondered why we have fingernails?

After all, they are not just for picking our nose.

Note: the problem with this forum is that it leaves little for discussion or debate. For this reason, you are free to depart from the OP

I think that the answer is simple they are evolutionary claws basically that have evolved for primate hands because of natural selection for some reason. There has to be some evolutionary reason however I don't know exactly what the evolutionary reason is unfortunately. Maybe someone else will have insight into that exact reason that we have fingernails and what evolutionary trigger caused that exact mutation from claws to fingernails in primates. Maybe it was an environmental reason I am not exactly certain though as to why just guessing with the environment being responsible.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:35 AM, Vmedvil said:

I think that the answer is simple they are evolutionary claws basically that have evolved for primate hands because of natural selection for some reason. There has to be some evolutionary reason however I don't know exactly what the evolutionary reason is unfortunately. Maybe someone else will have insight into that exact reason that we have fingernails and what evolutionary trigger caused that exact mutation from claws to fingernails in primates. Maybe it was an environmental reason I am not exactly certain though as to why just guessing with the environment being responsible.

"I think that the answer is simple they are evolutionary claws basically that have evolved for primate hands because of natural selection for some reason."

Yes, and my guess is we transitioned away from claws to fingernails to facilitate making and using tools.

It may well be that as the human mind slowly evolved to adapt to that new world of tool use and complexity, there was also a complimentary effect on other organs and limbs, including the transition from claws to fingernails.

No doubt, this evolutionary process continues to this day.

Would we ever have developed precision machinery, art work, writing or electronics if we did not trade our claws for fingernails?

Just imagine using a keyboard or a touchscreen with claws!

It may be interesting to guess how the human body will adapt in the future to the latest advances of the human mind.