Science Forums

Physics Greatest Mysteries

EWright

I'm once again working on my theory and plan on presenting details soon. It may not be correct to call it "one" theory, as I attempt to provide answers to a number of physics/cosmology's unanswered questions. In it I will define the nature of such things as dark energy, dark matter, time, and alternative explanations for some aspects of special relativity.

I'm asking for those of you with a more thorough understanding of the field to offer other major questions that still puzzle phycisists, so that I may attempt to see whether I can apply these concepts to my ideas as well. If you can include links to sites addressing these issues, so that I can gain a better understanding of them, I'd appreciate it.

I'd also ask that you not present problems that are specifically mathematical/formula based, as I do not have the physics/math background to tackle these. I am more interested in presenting ideas/concepts with new viewpoints (I hope), which true physicists might take into consideration in their attempts to advance the fileds of physics and cosmology.

Thanks

Will do. But others, will you please add your ideas/knowledge/lack-there-of, as well?

The big one is reconciling quantum mechancis and general relativity.

In condensed matter, a fairly central question would be trying to figure out what is going on with high Tc superconductors, here is a decent link http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/12/12/3

There are loads of unanswered questions in nuclear physics, but I can't find any decent, non-mathematical explanations.

-Will

The big one is reconciling quantum mechancis and general relativity.

In condensed matter, a fairly central question would be trying to figure out what is going on with high Tc superconductors, here is a decent link http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/12/12/3

There are loads of unanswered questions in nuclear physics, but I can't find any decent, non-mathematical explanations.

-Will

LOL... I can always count on you Will, to throw me a curveball that's over my head! :) I'll brain storm this, but I don't really see how to apply my theory to this one. Keep 'em coming though!

I'm most intersted in cosmological concepts, electromagnetism, particles, time, dimensions, relativity, gravity, paradoxes, etc. I'm open to all suggestions tho!

I'm most intersted in cosmological concepts, electromagnetism, particles, time, dimensions, relativity, gravity, paradoxes, etc. I'm open to all suggestions tho!

In particle physics, they have not found the Higgs Boson yet, so no one is positive as to exactly what causes mass. Here is a link with some decent explanations as to what the hypothetical Higgs is http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/courses/phy400w/particle/higgs.htm

-Will

there are MANY fundamental open problems B)

the following are I think truly fundamental querstions, (not just 'ow a problem we haven't solved, but that can't take long')

1) Why is space (at low energies for the string theorists..) four dimensional? and why is it (1+3) (so one timelike, and three spacelike dimensions) what are -on a fundamental level- the reasons why time behaves differnently then space?

2) What is dark energy? What is dark matter?

3) how can we unite general relativity and quantum field theory?

4) Why does Nature appear to follow some logic, given by conservation laws and symmetries (these two are strongly related)

5) what fixes natures constants? are they realy constant?

6) what is (quantum) information?

7) is mathematics the correct language to describe nature?

8) why are there three leptonic families? (see http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/chart.html ) (this one is probably related to (5))

good luck!

Bo

the following are I think truly fundamental querstions, (not just 'ow a problem we haven't solved, but that can't take long')

1) Why is space (at low energies for the string theorists..) four dimensional? and why is it (1+3) (so one timelike, and three spacelike dimensions) what are -on a fundamental level- the reasons why time behaves differnently then space?

4) Why does Nature appear to follow some logic, given by conservation laws and symmetries (these two are strongly related)

8) why are there three leptonic families? (see http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/chart.html ) (this one is probably related to (5))

good luck!

Bo

I would like to add one to the list that I've always found personally perplexing: Action at a distance.

I'm once again working on my theory and plan on presenting details soon. It may not be correct to call it "one" theory, as I attempt to provide answers to a number of physics/cosmology's unanswered questions. In it I will define the nature of such things as dark energy, dark matter, time, and alternative explanations for some aspects of special relativity.

What is your theory(s)? Why are you waiting so long to spill the beans?

Dark energy? Have you ever seen any, detected any?

Dark matter? The nonbaryonic type?

"alternative explanations for some aspects of special relativity"?

That theory already exists, Its called general relativity.

CC

good luck!

Bo

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming! To answer coldC, it's taking so long because I've been busy with other things. Hence, this post states that I'm just getting back to it. I'm also not a professional in this field, so I'm striving to understand things better and sometimes it takes me a while to wrap my mind around things...

Anyways, my theory... or idea... or concept... can account for some of the above, including #s 1, 2 (a and B), 5, may lead to ideas for 3... the rest i'll have to research more to understand them.

I just thought that this would add nicely in here.

No absolute rest but an absolute maximum...? how so.

what about this, I just recently came up with the idea.

Alright bare with me as I am not quoting knowledge directly out of a book or source in my presence but just from memory.

It has been found and decided as pure fact that the speed of light is constant and.... also, that no object is capable is exceeding this velocity accroding to certain equations that demonstrate the impossibility.

If the speed of light is constant and matter can only be accerlated to a specific velocity before the energy requirement causes a hypothetical wall to prevent and further acceleration (like a particle in a particle accelerator that is traveling .99999999C).

Also, there is apparently no absolute rest.

This is getting to my idea. If there is a constant that exists "out there" to constrain the velocity of all things.. then that exact velocity in the opposite direction should be, absolute rest. So if we accelerate a particle in an accelerater to the maximum speed that special relativity says is possible (and by useing an overhead view of this strait line accelerator) in the direction of north. Then the exact opposite direction of that same velocity should be zero. Now there is and will be more specific details as to testing time dialtion, half-life, and distance covered to create a good test. Then we spin the accelerator around 180 degrees and perform the same tests and reverse the velocity achieved a to find the zero in that situation. Next we reproduce this test east, west, and even further. Now with all this data, using special relativities laws, we find the absolute rest, if one does exist. (which I personally dont think does).

So for example. If a plane can only fly 100m/s in the air and this plane is on a very very large flying air deck but no velocity is known of the air deck, or direction (because we presume it is impossible to do so). We then fly this plane max speed in north, south, east, and west. Then we compare those velocities with the air deck. This should find out how fast the air deck is going and in which direction. Thus leading us to figuring out what is absolute zero in reference to the air. (which is relating to space [the constraining property and how to find its zero])

Well Achieving c+1 is actualy very possible..

Only one problem .

In oder for one to achieve c+1 then one would need a infinit amount of energy (infinit mass)

Indeed.

A very humbling thought, actually. Consider:

If you're able to convert every single atom of all the matter in the observed universe to pure energy (which will be a lot!), you still wont have enough energy to be able to push a single tiny atom past .999999999...999 c. By which stage that one atom will be heavier than all the galaxies, stars and planets combined that you've pulverised to get the energy.

Amazing... (still, after all these years!)

Is that a response to my post?

It seems to sound logical to me. If there is a max V... then there should be a rest v in relation to that max. Could that test not show in Up down, left right, forward back, and more yet.. to show how fast the galaxy is going in space? or for that matter how fast the universe may be expanding?

If we find rest in space-time with this concept ... wouldnt this be a huge jump in knowledge?

Personally I am a little unsure with SR, so think even if you do this test your going to see the exact same resuslts every direction you shoot an atom at .9999C.

Indeed.

A very humbling thought, actually. Consider:

If you're able to convert every single atom of all the matter in the observed universe to pure energy (which will be a lot!), you still wont have enough energy to be able to push a single tiny atom past .999999999...999 c. By which stage that one atom will be heavier than all the galaxies, stars and planets combined that you've pulverised to get the energy.

Amazing... (still, after all these years!)

Not fully true, and it has nothing to do with light speed.