Science Forums

Important: Upgrade Info

Tormod

This Saturday, November 26, we will be upgrading the Hypography Science Forums to a new version of the forum software.

We will take down the forums Friday night, US time, and keep working until we get through our long list of things to take care of. Don't panic - the site will come back up, but we need to keep it closed until everything is fixed so we don't get database corruption problems.

I want to let you know that some features will NOT work immediately after the upgrade, but we will fix these over the coming weeks. Hopefully you will find the new version to be a big improvement over today's version, so that you can live with the lack of certain features.

Nothing big will disappear, except the Puzzle Store, which will be closed for a while, and the Science Links directory which will be removed (it already exists over at hypography.com on a different version). The Quiz Section will also vanish, because frankly it isn't working as we hoped, and the old one over at hypography.com/quizfront.cfm is working great (and gets tons more traffic).

We will also change the way the science news are duplicated over at hypography.com in order to avoid too much duplicate content, which we think Google is penalizing us for. The classifieds will remain (hopefully), as will the gallery and the portal system.

We will also get a completely new look, so take a long, hard look at the current design because it will no longer be available after Saturday. :evil: We might not get all of this set up in time either, but we will focus on getting the forums back up as soon as possible, while making sure that any buggy sections are put on hold until we can fix them. We will not rush things which turn out to be problematic.

Sponsors may find that they will see advertisements for a few days - but they will disappear again ASAP.

Some other missing things will be minor hacks and fixes - some of which are no longer needed, and some which need rewriting.

An entirely new Article and Reviews system will be installed, so for those who have joined our new editorial team, things will start rolling very soon. It will also be possible for members to submit articles and reviews of their own for publication, something I think and hope several of you will find to be of interest.

Wish us luck - it will take the better part of maybe 10-12 hours, but we will get there.

Regards,

Tormod and Killean

I looking forward to the new format, hopefully Hypography won't be down too long.

I doubt it will even take 10-12 hours as Tormod is predicting. Upgrades go by fast, so the only thing that will take a while is making the forums beautiful again.

good luck Tormod

*clears throat*

Regards,

Tormod and Killean

:evil:

burning the midnight oil.

Friday 11pm (Winnipeg) = Saturday 6am (Oslo)

He ain't burning anything except his eggs and toast. :eek:

I doubt it will even take 10-12 hours as Tormod is predicting. Upgrades go by fast, so the only thing that will take a while is making the forums beautiful again.

*crossing fingers*

Well, there is a whole bunch of stuff we have to do so it's not just an upgrade...we'll be doing everything from photoshopping to Flash to php to hacking... :eek:

Friday 11pm (Winnipeg) = Saturday 6am (Oslo)

He ain't burning anything except his eggs and toast. :evil:

:eek: