Science Forums

Rocket Science for Fun

Pyrotex

Greetings Earthlings,

:QuestionM I work on aerospace projects for the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. My work tends to be 'hurry-hurry-wait-wait'. During the 'wait' parts, I thought it would be fun to join this online community and strike up some conversations. My background is in physics and math, but my real loves include astronomy, cooking and general science. Hello to all of you out there.

Welcome! I work for the Norwegian Space Centre myself. :eek2:

:QuestionM Fascinating!* I was really impressed with the latest Norwegian space probe designed to find fjords on the Moon. Good luck with that one.

:eek2: *this is what Vulcans were trained to say in Terrestrial charm schools instead of "reeking marsh-ogre droppings!"

Greetings Earthlings,

:QuestionM I work on aerospace projects for the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. My work tends to be 'hurry-hurry-wait-wait'. During the 'wait' parts, I thought it would be fun to join this online community and strike up some conversations. My background is in physics and math, but my real loves include astronomy, cooking and general science. Hello to all of you out there.

Hi Pyro, my work is the same, I call it "Hurry up and wait". I work as a software engineer at the US Patent Office.

Hi Pyro, my work is the same, I call it "Hurry up and wait". I work as a software engineer at the US Patent Office.

Interesting. I was just awarded the NASA Space Act Award for "inventiveness". They even gave my company the rights to appeal for a patent, but my company decided it was too expensive. The product was an intelligent 'shell' program that gave old 60's and 70's UNIX programs a modern point-n-click interface -- without touching one line of code in the old programs.

What do you do in the Antarctic? Actually wait a second. I'm installing Messenger right now. ...

Oh come on, if you can design "an intelligent 'shell' program that gave old 60's and 70's UNIX programs a modern point-n-click interface -- without touching one line of code in the old programs" I'm sure you could get around the firewall :evil:

:eek: You, sirrah, are a mercilous cad of the bluest water.

Greetings Earthlings,

:eek: I work on aerospace projects for the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. My work tends to be 'hurry-hurry-wait-wait'. During the 'wait' parts, I thought it would be fun to join this online community and strike up some conversations. My background is in physics and math, but my real loves include astronomy, cooking and general science. Hello to all of you out there.

___Hello to you 'in' there Pyrotex & welcome to the forum. We know you already as a perceptive individual inasmuch as you chose this forum over others. Enjoy.

___What is Pyrotex? I use a black powder substitute for shooting called 'Pyrodex'; if you are anything similar we should have a blast with you. :evil:

What is Pyrotex? I use a black powder substitute for shooting called 'Pyrodex'; if you are anything similar we should have a blast with you. :evil:

Hello Turtle,

I was just enjoying some of your (so-called) quatrains. I loved 'em, but keep your day job.

'Pyrotex' was the end-product of a long search for any easy to remember personal ID for universal use on various Microsoft products and websites such that the ID would not have to end in a string of meaningless numbers. For example: dude821.

Since I live in Texas, the last syllable suggested itself. The first two syllables were the result of a long and essentially random quest.

___Curious why you qualify the quatrains with 'so-called'? I have no job in the conventional sense, I'm what you might politely call 'unemployable'. :eek:

Excuse me, I have to get my %#*^!! feet firmly planted back on the ground.... :evil:

There!!!! Okay, we have a sort-of tradition around the office of giving back-handed complements. A programmer gives me some code and it works first time, I might refer to it as that 'so-called subroutine'. I keep forgetting the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

If I call you anything, it will be politely. :eek: 'Unemployable' in the sense of ???

I was unemployable until the modern computer was invented in the 1960's. I've been in a wheelchair since the age of 5 (polio). But after taking a few computer courses in grad school, I suddenly became employable. Magic.

Ohmigod! :eek: There actually IS a Norwegian Space Centre! Norsk Romsenter.

So, Tormod, I owe you an apology. Mea maxima culpa ad absurdum amen.

Pyrotex

No apology needed. Your joke was well taken. Interesting fact of the day: Per capita spending on space industry makes Norway one of the largest space nations in the world. :evil:

In fact we participate in projects like the IIS through ESA. And Cady Coleman is "Norwegian". :eek: