Science Forums

Understanding Time...?

Tarantism

After going through a few of these time discussions...

I have concluded there is differing opinions and confusion on the topic of time because there is multiple views on the relationship time is refered to.

There is more than one way to express time and use time as I can see.

We should collect the thoughts and put together a unofficial Time definition for the masses.

Time in reference to consciousness experience.

Time in reference to an equation, such as SR-Time dialation

Time in reference to linear expression

Time in reference to placing in infinity

Off the top of my head those are the areas needed to be seperated, and explained to discuss at any kind of efficiency and clarity.

We need to operate on the truth-basic manner. Here we speak in question of agreement versus the typical speaking in unagreed to be questioned.

Arkain,perhaps you could lead the way here and expand upon these principles you have listed.I was thinking of a somewhat different approach but I would like to hear what you have to say on the matter.

"We need to operate on the truth-basic manner. Here we speak in question of agreement versus the typical speaking in unagreed to be question."

Arkain,I simply do not understand these statements above, could you perhaps rephrase your meaning? Thanks Jambone

I havnt had the 'time' to post more elaborately.

but,

To explain what I meant with "We need to operate on the truth-basic manner. Here we speak in question of agreement versus the typical speaking in unagreed to be question."

is this:

Two people are discussing time and there thoughts. Both expressing there opinions with a 'this is how it is' manner.

ex, person 1: time is something our minds imagine. person 2: time is there regardless of our minds.

Now you see, they have expressed un-agreed opinions which are now going to be questioned in order to find some common ground.

Where as, the way I am refering to it would be more like so,

person 1: Do you agree that our minds are capable of creating the sense of time and also the ability to lose our sense of time and manipulate the feeling of the length of time

person 2: I agree..

boom done.

Call it dumb or confusing, but I find it helps when people try to 'aim' for agreement when discussing topics not aim for the other person using the ammo of opinion (opinion, that which can change)

I havnt had the 'time' to post more elaborately.

"but,

To explain what I meant with "We need to operate on the truth-basic manner. Here we speak in question of agreement versus the typical speaking in unagreed to be question.

is this:

Two people are discussing time and there thoughts. Both expressing there opinions with a 'this is how it is' manner.

ex, person 1: time is something our minds imagine. person 2: time is there regardless of our minds.

Now you see, they have expressed un-agreed opinions which are now going to be questioned in order to find some common ground.

Where as, theacc way I am refering to it would be more like so,

person 1: Do you agree that our minds are capable of creating the sense of time and also the ability to lose our sense of time and manipulate the feeling of the length of time

person 2: I agree..

boom done."

arkain101,I believe I understand your meaning, though I am not just sure of how much difference it would make.Opinion is like a theory of the moment[at least ideally] it is to proven false,altered and/or added to in a complementary way.I believe, "the do you agree with whatever the assumption", is most often taken for granted to be there.I find it a somewhat usual request, but if you wish to lead the way here with dissussion in this form, I shall try to accommodate.You have perhaps had some experience in this,which tells you it would be more productive? fair enough lets give it a go! Jambone