Science Forums

Sony rootkit

Lol, if you have been following the security news lately, there has been a large stir up with sony's release of music CD's that installed a rootkit for "copy protection" on 2.1 million windows systems :naughty: thats what i call a big oops :confused:

Security flaw is very bad, when any webpage can get control of your system, .... its really bad... and what is the funniest thing about the ordeal? i was talking to this guy who told me that he wasnt infected because he didnt install anything:) lol, it took me a while to explain to him that all it takes is to put the CD in and bingo, you got infected... When will people start realising that the point of viruses is so it can install and run on your system without your noticing and possibly do malacious things or in case of sony's rootkit open up yet another volnurability on the windows boxes... seriously who thought it was a good idea? i could have told them that they should do something that will not invite hackers in for a tea party, in order to "protect" the music files...

Anyway, if anyone wants to talk about the kit, I'll gladly give more info on it, if not i guess this will just be another dead thread....

Windows Vista is a rootkit itself, large, useless rootkit that i just spent way too much time thinking about for a minute, darn, that is how microsoft robs me... put out crappy products like Vista! Maybe if their OS was an actualy thought through, they wont need a rootkit remover shipped with their "new OS", oh but what am i thinking about? its Microsoft, duh, they cant think!

hey, I wonder why they didn't create a rootkit that will install on linux.

This brings an interesting thought to mind. I would guess that Sony only had a software designed that targets Windows, it's users and no other operating systems. Wouldn't it be fun to watch M$ sue them for targeting it's customers?

first of all:

hey, I wonder why they didn't create a rootkit that will install on linux... Oh yea! that's right! nobody uses linux!

are you being serious or just shooting for the worst quote of the day?

here is a why:

Linux users = smart, Linux = secure

Windows users = dumb, (Windows = secure) = oxymoron

windows is dumb enough to execute autoexecutable files with admin permisions when you pop in a CD, linux does not only not execute autoexecutables, but it does not like to touch removable storage as root period....

I would guess that Sony only had a software designed that targets Windows

Um, can either one of you Unix "geeks" explain how this rootkit could as much as install itself on any other OS?

According to this c/net news article, Microsoft is going to add a Sony rootkit remover to Windows Vista...
I can't find it now, but one of the major news sites had the headline "Microsoft Says Sony is Spyware"...I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes...

Hey kiddies, please note that the etymology of the word "rootkit" is that it was code deposited by a worm on a machine to allow a remote user the "get root" on *Unix* systems...

Also, history mavens: If you're old enough to remember that the original viruses were all on Mac because of the fact that it autoexecuted floppies, unlike DOS and later Windows. I have auto execute turned off on all my CD/DVD drives on all my systems....and I wouldn't be caught dead listening to Celine Dion...

Cheers,

Buffy

If you're old enough to remember that the original viruses were all on Mac because of the fact that it autoexecuted floppies, unlike DOS and later Windows.

lol, i remember, but still the fact is that none of the other modern OSes would be infected because they are all mainly Unix-based and thus secure enough to protect from such stupidity as rootkits on music cds...

P.S. i would also not be caght listening to Celine Dion, even if i was dead....

lol, thats a funny picture :confused:

and so far that has not been holding true, i know a load of people that use unix and have very active social lives, i mean one of my friends is a DJ, so most get laid a lot more often then they have to reboot their systems, but then there are always others....

Craig, lol, thats just too much.....