Science Forums

Could this be true?

C1ay

Government And Computer Manufacturers Caught Installing Hard-Wired Keystroke Loggers Into All New Laptop Computers! Devices capture everything you ever type, then can send it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search warrant each time you log onto the internet! Freedom Of Information Act Requests For Explanation From DHS, refused.

More at HalTurner Radio...

By most accounts, this story is a hoax – see this 5/17/2005 snopes.com article.

It’s a compelling myth, however, because its clearly technically possible. Keyghost is a real and legitimate company, from whom anyone can buy a simple, under $100 device that can be installed in under a minute by anybody on a desktop machine, and in not much more time by anyone capable of cracking the case on a laptop. Unless you’ve disassembled and thoroughly traced your keyboard cable to the motherboard (and checked your motherboard for any modifications), you can’t be 100% sure that someone, government or other, has installed such a gadget on your hardware! Worse, if you assume a motherboard or chipset manufacturer is in on such a conspiracy, a keystroke logger could be installed in a way undetectable anyway short of pulverizing your hardware and scanning is under a atomic force microscope or something similar.

Software keystroke loggers are likely a greater threat for most of us. I actually wrote and installed one on a machine of mine some years ago, though it was easily detected by scan tools like MSWindows scf.exe.

Just more evidence, IMO, that the fight to preserve privacy is futile, and that the people and their governments all need to understand and embrace openness, ASAP!

Officially untrue; realistically entirely possible. Employers routinely install keyloggers soft and hard into all employee access points. Color laser printers encode a big pile of information as a nearly invisble grid of near-microscopic yellow dots repeated over an entire page of printing.

http://www.spycop.com/

http://www.zonealarm.com/

Be in control of what is in your box and its access to the outside.

Homeland security is suppose to protect us from terrorists. Is it just me, or are others feeling a little twinge of terror from homeland insecurity? I am a little more concerned with homeland insecurity violating my rights more than the far lower probability of some terrorists violating my rights. If they were doing the job right, homeland security would happen in background. You don't hunt preditors by making a lot of noise. You lure them into thinking all is safe. You only make a lot a noise to scare preditors away so the predictors will survive and the hunt can go on forever.