Science Forums

Solar energy

which is a better form of energy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which is a better form of energy?

• solar power
    • nuclear power

Nuclear power is cheaper than the sun, it is more rewarding to us humans than solar. But like all things that are good on the surface, nuclear power has problems that the sun does not.

For one thing, the sun does not give ultra-radioactive waste that we cant manage efficiently (Put it in a box and put the box somewhere we cant see policy exists for nuclear waste.)

The sun has a energy store that will last longer than our nuclear store. (Nuclear fusion, however is something I would like right about now)

The sun is the biggest nuclear power plant we are gonna get for a long long time.

The previous point was made in a light manner, however. I dont feel serious while saying it...

Nuclear power is cheaper than the sun, it is more rewarding to us humans than solar.

Is nuclear power really cheaper? Yes, solar power does cost a lot of money in the beginning (buying solar panels, solar batteries, etc.) But it does save you money in the long run. Think about your monthly electric bill. Also what if another nuclear Power plant melts down, like Chernobyl or 3 mile island (not a total melt down). How much money will be needed to clean up the mess? How many people will die, due to nuclear radiation? Yes, Solar power is still in the developing stages, but once we are able to effectively harness the suns power, I believe we will not need any other source of power.

Is nuclear power really cheaper? Yes, solar power does cost a lot of money in the beginning (buying solar panels, solar batteries, etc.) But it does save you money in the long run. Think about your monthly electric bill. Also what if another nuclear Power plant melts down, like Chernobyl or 3 mile island (not a total melt down). How much money will be needed to clean up the mess? How many people will die, due to nuclear radiation? Yes, Solar power is still in the developing stages, but once we are able to effectively harness the suns power, I believe we will not need any other source of power.

Hey, you missed what I am for. I prefer solar energy (Just saying this incase... pls dont feel bad)

Hell yes solar energy does cost a lot of money. When you want to make it big thing, it will cost you a good lot. But nuclear power is big in the first case. (although we cant make it bigger without using our brains a lot)

And hey, do you think that modern power plants are'nt built more protected against problems like melt down, radiation leak, dirty floors? NO! Those problems are not going to be seen much any more.(I just hope a power plant does'nt blow up tommorow just to prove me wrong)

Just to prove that I really am for solar power, i'll quote my feelings.

Solar power will rule

Nuclear power is cheaper than the sun, it is more rewarding to us humans than solar.

Just to make sure everyone saw it...

C1ay pointed out very early in this thread, and very appropriately, that the sun's power IS nuclear.

One difference might be fusion vs. fission, but it's important to be cautious with your language or you run the risk of sounding a fool. :cup:

Just to make sure everyone saw it...

C1ay pointed out very early in this thread, and very appropriately, that the sun's power IS nuclear.

One difference might be fusion vs. fission, but it's important to be cautious with your language or you run the risk of sounding a fool. :shrug:

Yeah the sun is just a massive nuclear plant waiting for us.. we just have to harness it and then we will have free energy for the next few billion years!

Is it possible to create power plants that run off nuclear fusion ??? Or would there be to much energy to harness?

In short, not with current technology. You may want to do a search within this site it has been discussed a few times before :confused:

We may soon see a solar panel that will actually be able to produce enough electricity to cover the energy cost of it's construction over the life expectancy of the product.

Solar panels to date are so pathetic that they have a net negative energy result.

More efficient designs will help, but are not necessarily the solution, just cheaper ones. Ones with a ultra low energy cost to create.

I suspect that the best future solar designs will involve the radiant heat from the sun being harnessed for heat energy to produce electricity, rather then the direct conversion to electricity. At least until a few revolutionary changes occur in the field.

The only way Solar technology will likely make a dent in the Nuclear power generation field (remember folks, this is mega business) will be (as CraigD suggested) will be to loft the collectors into near sun orbit, and beam the energy back to earth. Not really as far fetched as it sounds.

For the near term, Nuclear will proliferate. It is inevitable, even in the face of new and improved alternate technologies. China has made public it's intentions, and to change it's mind now would cost it face in the global community.

Big business has a momentum of it's own. A sort of financial inertia if you will. Plans are being made to build new reactors, and those plans will go ahead.

If the technology to be used is the pebble bed (or similar very safe)design, I am fairly ambivalent about this outcome.

The only way Solar technology will likely make a dent in the Nuclear power generation field (remember folks, this is mega business) will be (as CraigD suggested) will be to loft the collectors into near sun orbit, and beam the energy back to earth. Not really as far fetched as it sounds.

But it still is far fetched.. how exactly are you going to beam that much EM with losing a lot of energy via diffraction.

if it was collected at earth orbit it may be possible to before significant intensity spreading occurs.. but new techniques need to be made in optics. Currently you point an ordinary laser at the moon and by the time it gets there the beam will be 6km wide (may want to check that calculation, my lecturer did it!:lol: )

if it was collected at earth orbit it may be possible to before significant intensity spreading occurs.. but new techniques need to be made in optics. Currently you point an ordinary laser at the moon and by the time it gets there the beam will be 6km wide (may want to check that calculation, my lecturer did it!:lol: )

Well laser techniques can be improved easily. Make the laser tube less wide and make it longer. You get extra accurate beams.

And what's a ordinary laser beam? Every laser beam is unique...

no but you see when you make the tube less wide you increase the diffraction.. and its more of a problem at lower frequencies like microwaves which is what I have heard been the preffered method. We did the calculation for a mass produced red laser pointer.