Science Forums

The MIDDLE

Queso

i was imagining myself soaring through the solar system when i become puzzled.

so, imagine a planet made of gas, like jupiter(except for the intense storms), except ONLY made of gas. just a giant mass of gravity and gas.

what would happen if you were pulled into the middle by the gravity?

what would happen in the exact center of a gaseous mass such as this?

torn apart? compacted into a sack of flesh? become stationary and stuck for infinite?

huh? :)

i was imagining myself soaring through the solar system when i become puzzled.

so, imagine a planet made of gas, like jupiter(except for the intense storms), except ONLY made of gas. just a giant mass of gravity and gas.

what would happen if you were pulled into the middle by the gravity?

what would happen in the exact center of a gaseous mass such as this?

torn apart? compacted into a sack of flesh? become stationary and stuck for infinite?

huh? :)

Good to see you active again orby; Check out this link:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/planets/jupiter/jupiterinside.shtml

According to this information, Jupiter has a silicate and ice core. Because of the great gravitational force that this gas planet has, I'm afraid that falling into it would result in a real mess when your body hits that solid inner core. And when you consider that for a gas planet of form, there must exist a rather strong gravitational force to keep the gas from excaping into space, most if not all gas planets will have a solid core.

I'm afraid that falling into it would result in a real mess when your body hits that solid inner core.

Maybe not though. With a mean surface temperature of about -150° C his body could be pretty solid by the time it gets to the core. The liquid mantle would probably slow his descent to the core while solidifying his body to the max.

Maybe not though. With a mean surface temperature of about -150° C his body could be pretty solid by the time it gets to the core. The liquid mantle would probably slow his descent to the core while solidifying his body to the max.
Very good observaton C1ay; If I remember correctly, there is one of the gas giants in our solar system that has a molten core. I think it was Uranus, at any rate if he were to fall into this core he would thaw out rapidly and burn to a crisp.

I'm afraid that falling into it would result in a real mess when your body hits that solid inner core.
Between the high density of the inner atmosphere of a gas giant like Jupiter, and the intense convection patterns, something as un-dense as a human body would, I think, just swirl around in it indefinitely, never able to penetrate into the deeper atmosphere, let alone reaching the solid core.

According to this story by popular weather presenter Spencer Christianson, something like this can happen, for briefer periods, to a human body freefalling in much thinner, gentler atmosphere of Earth. It reports that 2 of 16 pilots in a 1930 German glider competition bailed out of their damaged aircraft, but were unable fall faster than a strong thunderstorm system updraft. One of the 2 pilots is reported to have died after being encased in ice – a “human hailstone” – before finally falling to the ground.

Between the high density of the inner atmosphere of a gas giant like Jupiter, and the intense convection patterns, something as un-dense as a human body would, I think, just swirl around in it indefinitely, never able to penetrate into the deeper atmosphere, let alone reaching the solid core.

According to this story by popular weather presenter Spencer Christianson, something like this can happen, for briefer periods, to a human body freefalling in much thinner, gentler atmosphere of Earth. It reports that 2 of 16 pilots in a 1930 German glider competition bailed out of their damaged aircraft, but were unable fall faster than a strong thunderstorm system updraft. One of the 2 pilots is reported to have died after being encased in ice – a “human hailstone” – before finally falling to the ground.

Excellent reasoning CraigD, this same senario might in fact play out on one of the gas giants of or solar system. Interesting story................

The core of a literal gas planet cannot be gas as such. First, you have heat of aggregation, the gravitational binding energy. Second, you have pressure from overlying mass. The core must be a degenerate high density high temperature plasma. The equation of state for the sun's core is essentially the Ideal Gas law despite a density of 160 g/cm^3 and pressure of 250-340 billion atmospheres because the very high temperature - 15 million C - disconnects particle interactions. A gas planet's core will be much cooler - a few thousand C - and you must therefore include electronic interactions bumping up against Fermi exclusion.

Benjamin Rosenbaum’s 2002 short story, “Droplet”, describes an artificial world consisting of a single globe of comfortable (for swimmers) water. Its conditions are maintained by far-future super science, though, making is nearly indistinguishable from magic.

People who like to think about floating in a vast, gassy space, might enjoy Larry Niven’s “The Integral Trees” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345460367 and “The Smoke Ring” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345302575, which are set in the same exotic but scientifically plausible world http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0345460367/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-7906427-2362264#reader-page. Heck, such folk might get a charge just looking at these 2 novels' gorgeous cover art! :confused: