Science Forums

Viruses: Windows vs. Linux

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as i have been saying to you, there is a gazillion of sequencers, mixers well, just about anything available for linux, and as i have posted many times already, but will do again, here:

Audacity I already use on my PC and Mac (yes, for "free").

However, on Linux there is, and mark this - I have said it many times in reply to all of your posts about this - there is no VST support on Linux without major work, and then only a handful of my synths would work, and it would put a huge strain on my system which would make it more difficult to use...therefore I cannot use my plugins, regardless of how close-coded or expensive they are, and regardless of how many mixers, sequencers and wave editors there are for Linux.

So no dice. Linux is not yet a system that can support the way I make music. It might be useful to consider that Linux isn't useful for everything :) , just like DVD players can't play audio cassettes.

*Some people* will find Linux all right for music production. I don't, and I am very happy with the way I can work in Windows XP.

And before some of the obviously die-hard religious people here get the whole stage:

I Like Windows XP. Yup, I said it. I like my car, too, even though it pollutes and the company that makes them have been under investigation for anti-trust policies and have laid off thousands of workers in the past years.

So I am an idiot to you guys. Cool. How fitting of a bunch of science forum members to classify people by what OS they use and like!

Oh, I'll say this too: I Like Apple OS X too. Wow.

You know whats funny, somehow when you are working on a broken OS, people dont say, hey this broke, or that is broken, but when someone breaks something in Linux and they dont have the patience to find a solution for it, Linux all of the sudden becomes the evil...
It's not the IT department that's too impatient to figure it out, its that it broke at all when the IT folks "took a risk" by going with "unproven" technology (those terms defined by the users and more importantly the company president). If you choose M$ or IBM and it breaks, well, they're proven and the best so at least you tried to do your best.

As you spend more time working with these bureaucracies, you'll find that management decisions often "don't make any sense"...

Perception is everything,

Buffy

heh, i dont even run sun java :) or rather the closed source one, called blackdown jre, its cool because i haven had problems with Blackdown and any java apps, and at the same time, its open and free (as in freedom)

PS for windows people, OOffice 2.0 is now available for windows users, download it and run it, so far i have over 100% success rate with changing people over (over 100 because one of the people who switched, switched his friend over (the same day he ran OOffice for the first time in his life)...)

Yeah I'm contemplating using OO2 for my new (second hand) lappy. :)

As for OS issues I just proved to myself that commercial isn't always cool. I bought my lappy on a web auction last weekend and received it today. Since it was sold without an OS I bought a Windows XP Pro OEM too, which in hindsight might have been slightly dodgy since AFAIK they cannot be sold separately...

Anyway I now have a really neat Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 8820 lappy and my new XP license has not arrived yet. And it's Saturday and the only way to use this for anything is to either install my XP Home license and skip the activation, then install XP Pro when it comes...or install Linux for which I have several distros readily available...*shudders* :)