Science Forums

Enviromental Movement

As a schoolproject, I am supporting cleaning up the enviroment in china (air pollution), in order to decrease the amount of global warming. We have to come up with a proposal for a summit meeting with china, USA, and big business leaders. The proposal has to include economic, enviromental, social, and biodiversity changes. Such a cleaner cars that cost less or stricter laws on pollution.

Do yall have any advice?

Cleaner cars would probably not help China - if I'm not mistaken there problem is more industrial than traffic related. There would need to be a change in the way China handles industrial pollution. They contribute hugely to the distribution of NOx gases.

So they need to clean up their act. Now as for what the others could offer as incentives I don't know. Good question.

The biggest single solution by far on the global pollution front will be for the USA to cut its pollution by tens of percentage points without shedding any jobs. Talk about a Gordian knot!

The second biggest solution would be for high-population up-and-coming countries like China and India to come up with an alternative form of developing their economies, and not to blindly emulate the wicked Western ways. Also without shedding jobs.

Selling 'carbon-credits' is shifting the blame.

Another big score would be for the US to sign the Kyoto protocol, or at least to come up with a believable reason why its not signing, and then provide an alternative if the given reason is credible. Kyoto means nothing without the US buying into it.

I think expecting the Chinese to ride around in small little cars whilst the US keeps on pushing Ford F250's is laughable at best and detestable at worst.

how about we just help the communist government of china and build them a bunch of nuclear reactors so they can have a clean power source.

I have learned from my research that china has and uses nuclear reactors. BUT the do not have the same enviromental laws that the US and other countries has. That is what my projest is about. My group is an enviromentalist group ,who are trying to clean up china's act.