Science Forums

3D Printing Paves Way for “Designer” Titanium Alloys

Very interesting! Thank you for this information, Vic.

To answer your question; yes, I definitely do think these new alloys plus the use of 3D printing will have a very positive effect on many industries, not only aerospace.

Seems like there are several revolutionary developments here, from new titanium alloy microstructure design to the use of Laser Directed Energy Deposition (L-DED) 3D printing process, to print the new alloys from metal powder.

This sounds to me like a major breakthrough that will have very wide applications.

As a marine engineer, I have gone through the very tedious and delicate process of taking apart and rebuilding turbine generators, mainly to remove and replace damaged titanium alloy turbine blades because they are very brittle and eventually, they all fail.  I often wondered if these blades could be made more ductile while still retaining their enormous tensile strength and ability to withstand enormously high temperatures.

These researchers seem to have come up with the answer.

Incidentally, if I was a younger man, I would be looking to get involved with 3D printing; there are great future prospects in that field.

6 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Incidentally, if I was a younger man, I would be looking to get involved with 3D printing; there are great future prospects in that field.

Maybe you should still give it a try if it is something you are interested in, but I always encourage anyone to do anything they are passionate about. It does not matter your age some of the greatest inventions and projects were accomplished by those that were older. If you have the time and money go for it, make the ultimate titanium alloy turbine or something via 3D printing, Oceanbreeze. I know when I made my viral nanobots at age 24, it was a challenge however I never regretted it after they were complete maybe with something titanium you could do the same despite the fact that you are older, you make find that your great body of experience makes you ideal for the task of whatever it is.

Edited by Vmedvil