Science Forums

Where did our planet come from, where did the water come from?

Where did our planet come from-?

Our planet earth was once covered in ice. This water was frozen and now is melting. If our planet has always been in the orbit it is today, what froze our planet covering it in frozen ice and now is melting it-?

I believe the inner core was and is a nuclear reaction while the outer core was a frozen layer of frozen ice. It did not start melting until it was caught up in gravity tug of war with our sun.

All matter in the universe has many common elements so finding these elements outside our planet is expected, not a surprise. What I still cannot explain is where the water came from. Water is created when hydrogen and oxygen combine to form water. In the process a great deal of heat is created, and an explosion occurs. Water is not a natural occurring substance; it could only have come from the union of hydrogen and oxygen.

The links below is from a few posts that explains where our planet came from. I would cut and pasty it, but this site does not support images, so the link is all I can provide.

Comments are welcome

https://tinyurl.com/2nmdszns

https://tinyurl.com/4xs6yrj4

About 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. Water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and in aquifers, and even in you and your dog. Water is never sitting still.

Water is a molecule of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

The volume of all water in our planet is about 332.5 million cubic miles (mi3), or 1,386 million cubic kilometers (km3). A cubic mile of water equals more than 1.1 trillion gallons. A cubic kilometer of water equals about 264 billion gallons (1 trillion liters).

Water is not a natural occurring substance. It comes from the union of two atoms hydrogen and one atom of oxygen

Edited by atomsmasher
clarity

Water, H2O, is the second most common molecule in the universe, the sun is gradually warming and this warming is why our planet is warmer than it was in the distant past. The Earth formed from the gas and dust in the nebula that formed our sun. Your speculations do not even qualify as hypotheses and our knowledge of where the earth and the solar system came from has far surpassed your speculations.  

19 hours ago, atomsmasher said:

Our planet earth was once covered in ice. This water was frozen and now is melting. If our planet has always been in the orbit it is today, what froze our planet covering it in frozen ice and now is melting it-?

I believe the inner core was and is a nuclear reaction while the outer core was a frozen layer of frozen ice. It did not start melting until it was caught up in gravity tug of war with our sun.

Sounds Plausible. Link = https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/core/

Edited by Vmedvil

On 5/18/2023 at 6:26 AM, atomsmasher said:

It is widely agreed upon that Earth and the other rocky planets accreted from the disk of dust and gas that surrounded our Sun in its youth. As increasingly larger objects crashed into each other, the baby planetesimals that eventually formed Earth grew both larger and hotter, melting into a vast magma ocean due to the heat of collisions and radioactive elements.

Water is not a natural occurring substance. It comes from the union of two atoms hydrogen and one atom of oxygen

You are right that water molecules come from the union of hydrogen and oxygen. However, you are wrong when you say this process is not naturally occurring.

Recent research into exoplanets have given us a much greater appreciation of how common it is for just-formed planets to be surrounded by atmospheres that are rich in molecular hydrogen, H2, during their first several million years of growth.

Eventually these hydrogen envelopes dissipate, and interactions between the magma ocean and a the molecular hydrogen proto-atmosphere could have given rise to Earth’s abundance of water and its overall oxidized state.  

this site does not support images

Of course this site supports images! Just look to the bottom right of your post and you will see a link you can use to post "Other Media" You can use that to insert an attachment from your device, or insert an image from another URL. I am using it to insert an image from Carnegie Science, which is the source for my reply to you.

Cheers!

Embryo%20Earth%20Illustration.jpg.webp?i

4 hours ago, Moontanman said:

why do you think water is not naturally occuring?  

“naturally occurring” is an elusive term.

We can create water by igniting hydrogen gas and oxygen. The reverse process, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen, requires the presence of salt.

This reaction gives off a great deal of heat and in the end a water molecule is formed.

The volume of the largest sphere, representing all water on, in, and above the Earth, would be about 332,500,000 cubic miles (mi3) (1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers (km3)), and be about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) in diameter.

https://tinyurl.com/2p9puutd

I tried to determine the volume of salt in the oceans but came up empty handed.

I am getting nowhere in this discussion, but I do know that water is a result of the combination of hydrogen and oxygen, and this process gives off a great deal of heat.

Earth has 332,500,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

Edited by atomsmasher
typo

6 hours ago, Moontanman said:

False link? Please explain why you think this? Water occurs naturally throughout the universe, why do you think water is not naturally occuring?  

No, I was saying that water is naturally occuring and it is false to think that it is not naturally occuring as there is water everywhere in the universe and that the link proves that there is water even on Europa which proves that there has to be water on many planets in the universe if multiple have it in our solar system. I guess I should have given more clarification to what I was meaning Moontanman and completely explained it and not just assumed that people understood what I was meaning.

Edited by Vmedvil

3 hours ago, atomsmasher said:

“naturally occurring” is an elusive term.

We can create water by igniting hydrogen gas and oxygen. The reverse process, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen, requires the presence of salt.

This reaction gives off a great deal of heat and in the end a water molecule is formed.

The volume of the largest sphere, representing all water on, in, and above the Earth, would be about 332,500,000 cubic miles (mi3) (1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers (km3)), and be about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) in diameter.

I am getting nowhere in this discussion, but I do know that water is a result of the combination of hydrogen and oxygen, and this process gives off a great deal of heat.

Earth has 332,500,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

Oxygen is quite reactive and requires very little impetus to bond with hydrogen to make water, in fact in the entire universe, and yes we can tell this will spectroscopes,   fully one half of all molecules in the universe consists of water. Helium which doesn't form molecules is the second most common element but water is the second most common molecule. The cloud of gas and dust that formed our solar system had a huge amount of water contained within it. Every small body past Jupiter contains large amounts of water, in fact Jupiter's moon Europa has more water than the Earth does. I'm not sure what you problem is with water existing in the universe. 

Water on earth

Earth has 1,386,000,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

The water molecule is created when hydrogen and oxygen combine. In the process a great deal of heat is released.

Earth contains 332,500,000 cubic miles of water.

Care to calculate the energy released during this process?

6 minutes ago, atomsmasher said:

Water on earth

Earth has 1,386,000,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

The water molecule is created when hydrogen and oxygen combine. In the process a great deal of heat is released.

Earth contains 332,500,000 cubic miles of water.

Care to calculate the energy released during this process?

The water we have was already water before the Earth even formed and the amount of energy is trivial compared to the fusion energy of the sun or even the radioactive contents of of our planet. Free oxygen is very rare, it almost always reacts to almost any other atom and the amount of energy it also trivial to the gravitational energy released by the impact of the asteroid debris and dust that formed the earth. This resulted in the Earth starting out as a ball of molten rock. The impact of Theia that caused the moon to form also caused the earth to become completely molten even having a rock vapor atmosphere for a few tens of thousands of years. 

Why is the energy released by the combination of hydrogen and oxygen well before the earth even formed important? 

2 hours ago, atomsmasher said:

Water on earth

No, this process did not create our molten core, the amount of water on the earth... even if it was created by burning hydrogen in oxygen, is nowhere near enough to turn the Earth molten, as I stated in my last response it was the infall of debris hitting the proto earth and radioactive decay that produced a molten earth. This has been well known for a great many years, centuries in fact.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2023 at 12:30 PM, Moontanman said:

This has been well known for a great many years, centuries in fact.  

Once everyone believed the earth was flat. Now we know better.

We now know that a water molecule is created when two hydrogen atoms combine with an oxygen atom.

That is all I have to say on this issue.

(:-

• 1 month later...

Water on our planet, where did it come from-?

A water molecule is created when two atoms of hydrogen combine with one atom of oxygen. When this molecule is created a great deal of heat is released.

The volume of all water (on our planet) is about 332.5 million cubic miles (mi3), or 1,386 million cubic kilometers (km3). A cubic mile of water equals more than 1.1 trillion gallons. A cubic kilometer of water equals about 264 billion gallons (1 trillion liters)

https://tinyurl.com/fxa4yn69

When the water on our planet was created, how much energy was released-?

Check out “snowball earth”

https://tinyurl.com/4ym4s3v8

17 hours ago, atomsmasher said:

Water on our planet, where did it come from-?

A water molecule is created when two atoms of hydrogen combine with one atom of oxygen. When this molecule is created a great deal of heat is released.

The volume of all water (on our planet) is about 332.5 million cubic miles (mi3), or 1,386 million cubic kilometers (km3). A cubic mile of water equals more than 1.1 trillion gallons. A cubic kilometer of water equals about 264 billion gallons (1 trillion liters)

https://tinyurl.com/fxa4yn69

When the water on our planet was created, how much energy was released-?

Check out “snowball earth”

https://tinyurl.com/4ym4s3v8

You are suffering from the delusion that Earth's water was somehow created on the Earth. The vast majority of water that makes up the Earth was already water long before even our own star was formed. Water is the second most common molecule in the universe, water in some form permeates the cosmos. The Earth formed from leftover debris from the Sun's formation, this debris consisted of rocks and various ices which condensed to form the planets. that is how all the planets got their water, Uranus and Neptune are composed mostly of various ices with Water ice being the largest percentage. Why is this so difficult to get? What is it about water that puzzles you?  

On 8/14/2023 at 10:48 AM, Moontanman said:

You are suffering from the delusion that Earth's water was somehow created on the Earth.

The problem is simple enough. You do/did not understand my post. Water is not a “natural” substance. A water molecule is formed when two atoms of hydrogen combine with one atom of oxygen. The combination releases a great deal of energy.

There are clouds of hydrogen and oxygen drifting in outer space. If they mix and a spark is created these atoms will combine to form a water molecule.

The problem is you are not accepting explanations given to you by Moontanman, myself and others that show how water may have originated on Earth. Also, water is a natural substance regardless of it being formed from the combination of hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Many natural substances are not found in a pure form, but instead are found as part of mixtures of two or more pure substances, These mixtures are naturally occurring and are themselves natural substances.

Mod Note: You have started at least two threads on this same topic, asking the same questions over again while ignoring the answers provided.

Since scientifically accepted answers to your questions have already been provided and you have not responded to these answers, I am closing this thread.

Please do not start another thread on this same topic. Thank You.

If you have new information that you feel is interesting and not covered before, just send me a PM and I may reopen this thread or allow you to start a new one..

With many thanks for your participation in this Forum;

OceanBreeze, Moderator

Update: At the request of the OP, I am reopening this thread.

Edited by OceanBreeze