Science Forums

Name for an Anatomical Position

Friends,

What is the correct anatomical name for the foot position in between Pronated and Supinated—Leg Straight, Instep pointed up?

I need to elevate my feet. I find this the only natural position to assume and I find very painful to both my knees and hips...

But I can't research it, because I don't know the proper term for the position.

Thanks!

Saxon Violence

I broke my ankle back in December last year and I still have gait problems today.

The only reason I mention that, is it caused me to do a bit of research on the biomechanics of the foot.

At first, I was under the impression there was no position that lies between pronation and supination, but according to Wiki there is a neutral position where the foot is neither pronating nor supinating.

Unfortunately, Wiki does not provide a formal anatomical name for this neutral position, making me wonder if there is such a formal name.

Here is what the Wiki article states:

“The normal biomechanics of the foot absorb and direct the occurring throughout the gait whereas the foot is flexible (pronation) and rigid (supination) during different phases of the gait cycle. As the foot is loaded, eversion of the subtalar joint, dorsiflexion of the ankle, and abduction of the forefoot occur.[5][6] Pronation should not occur past the latter stages of midstance, as the normal foot should then supinate in preparation for toe-off.[7]

Abnormal pronation occurs when a foot pronates when it should supinate, or overpronates during a normal pronation period of the gait cycle. Approximately four degrees of pronation and supination are necessary to enable the foot to propel forward properly. In the neutral position, the foot is neither pronating nor supinating. If the foot is pronating or supinating during the stance phase of the gait cycle when it ought to be in the neutral position, a biomechanical problem may exist.”

I don’t know if that answers your question or not.