Science Forums

Elon Musk teases a bold plan to terraform Mars with 10,000 nukes - 'No problem'

Vmedvil

This is a article about using nuclear weapons to terraform Mars and Elon musk says it will be "No Problem", read more at Elon Musk replies 'no problem' when told it will take 10,000 nukes to terraform Mars | Daily Mail Online

Do you think it is a good idea to terraform Mars with 10,000 nuclear weapons or antimatter weapons to make Mars our new home?

2 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

If you wish to rid rival nations of their nuclear arsenal why not suggest detonating them in empty space instead of ruining a potentially habitable world with eternally high levels of radiation?

That isn’t his idea.  (I would not call it a “plan” as he is just kicking around some ideas)

One of his ideas is to “use a continuous stream of very low fallout nuclear fusion explosions” above the Martian atmosphere to create artificial suns. According to Musk, this would be “much like our own sun” and not cause Mars to become radioactive.

It sounds like something only a madman or a genius could dream up. Either way, I think an international consortium of space-faring countries would put a stop to this, if he actually tried to implement it.

I do like his newer idea, which is warm Mars with thousands of solar reflectors acting as artificial suns. This could work and I can’t see any strong reasons to reject it.

17536900-7380507-image-a-1_1566409461231

As for Alexander Bloshenko’s opinions, I would not give them any validity until the Russians stop blowing up our own planet as they are doing in Ukraine.