Science Forums

Palladium - THE NASTIEST METAL ON EARTH! Video

Vmedvil

Hey Vic, I thought you were above this sort of click bait bullshit.

Palladium is a very useful and unique metal that is quite inert, with low toxicity.

From Wiki:

"More than half the supply of palladium and its congener platinum is used in catalytic converters which convert as much as 90% of the harmful gases in automobile exhaust (hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen dioxide) into nontoxic substances (nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water vapor). Palladium is also used in electronics, dentistry, medicine, hydrogen purification, chemical applications, groundwater treatment, and jewelry. Palladium is a key component of fuel cells, in which hydrogen and oxygen react to produce electricity, heat, and water.

Like other platinum-group metals, bulk Pd is quite inert. Although contact dermatitis has been reported, data on the effects are limited. It has been shown that people with an allergic reaction to palladium also react to nickel, making it advisable to avoid the use of dental alloys containing palladium on those so allergic."

That doesn't sound like the "Nastiest Metal on Earth"!

Please refrain from posting such click bait Bullshit in the future.

You post a lot of links, and some of them are interesting; but they would be much more interesting if you would also post some discussion along with the link. This is a discussion forum! You have been told about this before. Anybody can post a link; it takes no intelligence at all to do that. What we want here is intelligent discussion to go along with the link. From now on, orphan links may be deleted unless there is at least some discussion to go along with them.

3 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Hey Vic, I thought you were above this sort of click bait bullshit.

Palladium is a very useful and unique metal that is quite inert, with low toxicity.

From Wiki:

"More than half the supply of palladium and its congener platinum is used in catalytic converters which convert as much as 90% of the harmful gases in automobile exhaust (hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen dioxide) into nontoxic substances (nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water vapor). Palladium is also used in electronics, dentistry, medicine, hydrogen purification, chemical applications, groundwater treatment, and jewelry. Palladium is a key component of fuel cells, in which hydrogen and oxygen react to produce electricity, heat, and water.

Like other platinum-group metals, bulk Pd is quite inert. Although contact dermatitis has been reported, data on the effects are limited. It has been shown that people with an allergic reaction to palladium also react to nickel, making it advisable to avoid the use of dental alloys containing palladium on those so allergic."

That doesn't sound like the "Nastiest Metal on Earth"!

Please refrain from posting such click bait Bullshit in the future.

You post a lot of links, and some of them are interesting; but they would be much more interesting if you would also post some discussion along with the link. This is a discussion forum! You have been told about this before. Anybody can post a link; it takes no intelligence at all to do that. What we want here is intelligent discussion to go along with the link. From now on, orphan links may be deleted unless there is at least some discussion to go along with them.

I thought I would do a video series on the elements by a youtuber thoisoi since the chemistry forums is rather vacant if you don't like them as a moderator, I will stop the series at this point.

As for the links in the news section that is a news feed, and it is for reading science and political news is the reason why I post the links in such a way whereas they seem "Orphaned" if you would like I can discontinue those as well.

Edited by Vmedvil

5 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

I thought I would do a video series on the elements by a youtuber thoisoi since the chemistry forums is rather vacant if you don't like them as a moderator, I will stop the series at this point.

A video series on the elements would be great. But why did you pick this "thoisoi" character? Why on earth would he label palladium as the "nastiest metal on earth" when it is no such thing? It is one of the most useful and harmless metals on earth. His video does not do justice to this metal. What I don't like is his click-bait title which does not fit the subject matter. I would like it if you can continue the series on the elements, but maybe find a different source. It would also be appreciated if you would add your own comment on the videos, which may lead to an some interesting discussions. All I am trying to do is encourage discussion, as that is what this forum is all about.

As for the links in the news section that is a news feed, and it is for reading science and political news is the reason why I post the links in such a way whereas they seem "Orphaned" if you would like I can discontinue those as well.

I would much rather you continue with the links but once again I encourage you to add your own comments. Something about why you posted that link; what you found interesting about it, anything that may lead to a discussion. Most people will just ignore the link unless you generate some interest in it. I consider you to be a valued poster here and you can be even more valued with a little effort to generate some discussion. So rather than discontinue what you are doing, please continue but with some added content. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, OceanBreeze said:

A video series on the elements would be great. But why did you pick this "thoisoi" character? Why on earth would he label palladium as the "nastiest metal on earth" when it is no such thing? It is one of the most useful and harmless metals on earth. His video does not do justice to this metal. What I don't like is his click-bait title which does not fit the subject matter. I would like it if you can continue the series on the elements, but maybe find a different source. It would also be appreciated if you would add your own comment on the videos, which may lead to an some interesting discussions. All I am trying to do is encourage discussion, as that is what this forum is all about.

I would much rather you continue with the links but once again I encourage you to add your own comments. Something about why you posted that link; what you found interesting about it, anything that may lead to a discussion. Most people will just ignore the link unless you generate some interest in it. I consider you to be a valued poster here and you can be even more valued with a little effort to generate some discussion. So rather than discontinue what you are doing, please continue but with some added content. Thanks.

Okay <3, I will.