Science Forums

Are there indivisible atoms at all?

Diamonds

Can each of the smallest existing particles be divided into smaller parts or not?

Is there any indivisible particle at all?

When I read Aristotle Physics it seems like atoms can not exist.

A particle made of one single element and which particle is not mixed with any other particle or element is like:

1. Is not movable at all but stays still in its place.

2. Is in an eternal motion changing its gesture, being, qualities all the time.

3. Is some kind of antimatter.

So is this kind of single element particle any longer a 3D object at all or is it just always changing geometric or other unusual object or pattern.

Sorry about my lousy english.

Of course this kind of question can be solved rather using the quantum mechanics than ancient philosophy but Aristotle seems to have very interesting ideas about atoms anyway?

When I read a little bit a recent english book about physics it gave me an idea:

Some particles are so small that they do not even have any kind of geometric line in themselves. But they rather are just energy,  momemtum, or other qualities and not solid 3D objects. 

Is this the reason why it is so hard to get precise images of the smallest particles.

What about Mass, Time, Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Are they indivisible or can they be divited into parts.

I may be wrong but when I read those books from India it seems like at least the Mass can be divided into 24 elements and one of them can ocassionaly be the Time.

All of the particles can be divited into smaller parts even the quarks?

Because if some particle can not be divited into parts it is not a particle at all but some kind of gesture consisting of qualities, energy, momentum, charge and so on?

On 9/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, Diamonds said:

Because if some particle can not be divided into parts it is not a particle at all but some kind of gesture consisting of qualities, energy, momentum, charge and so on?

You are on the right track with this question.

The mainstream scientific answer to this question is:  there are no particles at all! Scientists earlier thought that all matter could be subdivided into smaller and smaller pieces simply because that is based on our preconceived ideas about the instinctive perceived reality of the world around us. They tried to understand, and explain, the subatomic world based on our human experience of the macro world, which indeed appears to consist of solid objects, and these objects can be cut and dissected into smaller and smaller objects, until we start to call the smallest parts, particles.

However, as these so-called particles are examined in more and more detail, we find there is nothing at all solid about them, and they only consist of fields; just energy as you correctly surmised.

It followed from Einstein’s special theory of relativity that mass and energy are just different manifestations of the same thing — which is quite a departure from how the average human mind conceives the world. Fortunately for us, Einstein did not possess an average human mind!

Today, it is quantum field theory (QFT) that brings the two concepts of mass and energy together in a seamless way, in the form of a field with its energy fluctuations. A “particle” in QFT is a force field with energy fluctuations which manifests in particle-like behavior, but there is no “particle” in the usual sense of the word.

As for dividing energy into parts, as far as I know, there is no lower boundary other than zero, but then we are not talking about any energy at all. So, the accepted answer for the smallest packet of energy is one quantum, but the amount of energy in one quantum depends on the context and type of energy under discussion, meaning there is not one simple answer to that question.

Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer to this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, OceanBreeze said:

You are on the right track with this question.

The mainstream scientific answer to this question is:  there are no particles at all! Scientists earlier thought that all matter could be subdivided into smaller and smaller pieces simply because that is based on our preconceived ideas about the instinctive perceived reality of the world around us. They tried to understand, and explain, the subatomic world based on our human experience of the macro world, which indeed appears to consist of solid objects, and these objects can be cut and dissected into smaller and smaller objects, until we start to call the smallest parts, particles.

However, as these so-called particles are examined in more and more detail, we find there is nothing at all solid about them, and they only consist of fields; just energy as you correctly surmised.

It followed from Einstein’s special theory of relativity that mass and energy are just different manifestations of the same thing — which is quite a departure from how the average human mind conceives the world. Fortunately for us, Einstein did not possess an average human mind!

Today, it is quantum field theory (QFT) that brings the two concepts of mass and energy together in a seamless way, in the form of a field with its energy fluctuations. A “particle” in QFT is a force field with energy fluctuations which manifests in particle-like behavior, but there is no “particle” in the usual sense of the word.

As for dividing energy into parts, as far as I know, there is no lower boundary other than zero, but then we are not talking about any energy at all. So, the accepted answer for the smallest packet of energy is one quantum, but the amount of energy in one quantum depends on the context and type of energy under discussion, meaning there is not one simple answer to that question.

Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer to this.

Ya, he's right, a single quantum is the smallest amount of energy that you can have usually these are the packets in quantum mechanics.

Link = Schrodinger equation (gsu.edu)

Edited by Vmedvil5