Science Forums

Is this evidence AI is becoming more intelligent?

Asking the question ‘Is google getting smarter?’ gave result numbers increasing from about 78 million before June 2022 to 4.4 billion in August 2022:-

78 million 7th February 2020 (scienceforums top result)

132 million 25th June 2022 (scienceforums 3rd top result)

3.91 billion 28th July 2022 (scienceforums 4th top result)

4.0 billion 2nd August 2022 (scienceforums 3rd top result)

4.4 billion 11th August 2022 (scienceforums 5th top result)

Asking a variety of other questions has not shown any such increases in result numbers. Could this be the A.I. advancing to a whole new level of intelligence by acquiring a curiosity about itself? Personally, I think it is and hopefully, this is a positive development.

I think it is evidence that the network is growing and as it grows it does get more complex. The increased complexity could probably be interpreted as more intelligent, but the increase in intelligence so far seems to be minuscule. At some point, however, there may be a breakthrough where the intelligence makes a great leap forward. That may or may not be a good thing! 

• 11 months later...

The increase in search result numbers for the question "Is Google getting smarter?" does not necessarily indicate that AI is becoming more intelligent. It's important to understand that search result numbers can fluctuate for various reasons, including changes in search engine algorithms, updates in web indexing, and the overall growth of online content.

The increase in result numbers could be attributed to a combination of factors. For example, more web pages could have been indexed that discuss the topic, leading to a higher number of search results. It's also possible that the phrasing or wording of the question changed over time, affecting the search results.

While AI technologies are advancing and becoming more sophisticated, it would require a more comprehensive analysis to determine if AI is developing a curiosity about itself or exhibiting a whole new level of intelligence. 

It's important to approach claims of AI advancements critically and consider multiple factors before concluding that AI has reached a new level of intelligence. Ongoing research and development in the field of AI are continuously pushing the boundaries, but significant breakthroughs are typically announced and documented in scientific literature.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, spartan45 said:

4.0 billion 2nd August 2022 (scienceforums 3rd top result)

I did the query just now and got just over 200 M results, not billions.

Scienceforums was indeed the 3rd result, but only because there is a topic entitled: "Google is getting smarter" which very closely matches the query as worded.  For instance, I asked also "are google search results becoming more intelligently chosen?" and got far better results, but nothing in scienceforums made anywhere near the top of the list, but once I post this reply, this very page will bubble up because of the exact match on the wording.

The number of matches is just a matter of where they cut off the relevancy threshold. It has nothing to do with smartness. A smarter engine would exhibit some understanding of both the query asked and of the meaning of each of the pages linked. Regular google search mostly just searches for mentions of the key phrases and often matches completely irrelevant pages by accident.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 7:21 PM, Halc said:

I did the query just now and got just over 200 M results, not billions.

200 M results of 17th July 2023, however, the figures given in my post of 11th August 2022 with early August 2022 at over 4 Billion results were correct. Could it be that once google had satisfied curiosity about what was being written about itself, results fell?