Science Forums

Why Lobotomies of any sort should be banned in the World!

Vmedvil5

Something was brought to my attention that lobotomies are still preformed and basically the frontal lobotomy severs the parts of the brain that relate to free will and thought of any sort. This type of surgery should be banned everywhere as cruel and inhumane as basically the person that has this happen to them becomes not human anymore but rather a zombie without any sort of intelligence because of the removal of the consciousness of humans by removing this part of the brain. The reason why people act passive afterward is because the front lobes control the consciousness of humans by removing the consciousness of humans they cease to be human which is basically nerve stapling(https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Traits#Nerve_Stapled) this type of surgery only makes them docile because they are no longer self aware.

Frontal-Lobe-function-1.jpg

"The frontal lobes are important for voluntary movement, expressive language and for managing higher level executive functions. Executive functions refer to a collection of cognitive skills including the capacity to plan, organize, initiate, self-monitor and control one's responses in order to achieve a goal."

This is the reason why this should be banned everywhere because the function of the frontal lobes controls the conscious part of the human psyche by severing this things such as "Higher thought and intelligence are removed". Many people do not realize the ramifications of their actions in psychology and do not care that this happens which is not really a good thing.

"What happens after a lobotomy? While a small percentage of people supposedly showed improved mental conditions or no change at all, for many patients, lobotomy had negative effects on their personality, initiative, inhibitions, empathy and ability to function on their own"

"Historically, patients of lobotomy were, immediately following surgery, often stuporous, confused, and incontinent. Some developed an enormous appetite and gained considerable weight. Seizures were another common complication of surgery."

"In her early young adult years, Rosemary Kennedy experienced seizures and violent mood swings. In response to these issues, her father arranged a prefrontal lobotomy for her in 1941 when she was 23 years of age; the procedure left her permanently incapacitated and rendered her unable to speak intelligibly."

Would you want the conscious part of your mind removed? I don't think you would which is why this should be banned everywhere in the world.

"A lobotomy involves severing the nerve connections between the frontal lobe and other regions of the brain"

lobotomy-icepick-thumb.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil5

• Vmedvil5 changed the title to Why Lobotomies of any sort should be banned in the World!

I was under the impression that lobotomies were already banned in the USA, since the last such procedure was performed in 1967. However, I am surprised and dismayed to find that the US, and much of western Europe, never banned lobotomy. Today, lobotomies are rarely performed, although they’re technically still legal. Today, surgeons occasionally use a more refined type of psychosurgery called a cingulotomy in its place. The procedure involves targeting and altering specific areas of brain tissue using a laser instead of the earlier barbaric methods:

1). The earliest version of this procedure involved drilling holes in a patient’s head and injecting ethanol into their brain to destroy the nerve connections.

2). This was later refined into the prefrontal and transorbital lobotomy, which usually involves using an ice pick-like surgical instrument called a leucotome.

Even the modern version using the laser as the leucotome is very rarely used because medications like antipsychotics and antidepressants have become widely available to treat mental health conditions.

as someone who has a few mental health disorders  i feel that in this day in age it should be banned everywhere , it is barbaric  and unethical , people do have rights but not all countries listen to human rights law  i hope it never happens that this would come back in any way , but at the moment the world is getting worse  and i think we are going backwards instead of going forward 

• 5 months later...