Science Forums

Corruption of Science

Kizzi

Every scientist has to make a living. So isn't this going to corrupt the results of science when the scientist, who has to continue making a living, gets results that won't be to their employer's favour?

Whilst developing a new drug, if results come back saying the new drug is useless, aren't the developers risking the sack if their truthful, cause they really are saying 'we failed'? Bosses want results. If the scientists tell the bosses what they want to hear they'll continue to get paid. But they have to live with the problem and will most probably be found out later.

I guess this all says, if your going to be a scientist, you've got to be a successful one! How many unsuccessful scientists lie drinking in the rubbish bin?

Or in the real world does only 1 out of 100 scientists come up with good results, and have the bosses come to realize this and accept this?

Maybe it's easy to be creative and progress science along the path? Mabey being a scientist is easy............if done in little steps?!!!!!

Kizzi :rolleyes:

I suppose what ever type of occupation one chooses, one has to be successful, because if your not the boss isn't going to be too happy. But at the end of the day we're all human, and we all make mistakes, so no boss is going to be 100% happy.

Someone once told me that employment positions are filled with people who can't do their job........people get promoted and promoted until they end up doing not too well because it's generally more difficult the higher you go, so they don't get promoted no more.....therefore positions are filled with people who can only do half their jobs!!!!!

If only they could get domoted one more time! No one wants to see unhappy employees worrying about mortgages and feeding the kids.

Kizzi :rolleyes:

I just want to say in my opinion............

that this thread should be destroyed since it may put off impressional budding scientists from doing science at university.

The scientists are the heros.

Scientists get my vote.

They take us one step at a time into the future.

Scientists along with people who work for charity.

KiZzI :D ;) ;) :D :) :D :D :D ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Someone once told me that employment positions are filled with people who can't do their job........people get promoted and promoted until they end up doing not too well because it's generally more difficult the higher you go, so they don't get promoted no more.....therefore positions are filled with people who can only do half their jobs!!!!!

Kizzi :)

This is called the Peter Principle & states that people in an organization will rise to their level of incompetence.

People misbehave at all levels & occupations & it doesn't always take incompetence to point out a bosses new clothes. MOTC

SCience is refinement after accident. Most of our major scientific brak throughs occured because of some random accident. The scientist then thought, "Hey, thats wierd. I wonder why so and so happened in this instance?" This is where scientists either make it or break it... Observation in the subtle variations and causes opens up vast areas to be explored.

Much of new science is like art. It just kind of happens. Then the comunity then contiues to refine and examine new ideas and possiblities.