Science Forums

End Of Oil Is Near--What Next?

1 hour ago, ArthurSmith said:

I happen to live in France. We currently have an oversupply of nuclear energy though, due to demand fluctuations, the net average contribution is around 71% as one drawback of nuclear is the slow response time to change in demand.

Well, I hope you French people can get the Germans to understand that there is little other choice than nuclear for a sustainable and net zero emissions economy. As Merkel and the Germans have been bitching about nuclear for years now and how much they hate it, on a baseless idea that nuclear is dangerous and bad.

Edited by VictorMedvil

4 minutes ago, VictorMedvil said:

Well, I hope you French people can get the Germans to understand that there is little other choice than nuclear for a sustainable and net zero emissions economy. As Merkle and the Germans have been bitching about nuclear for years now and how much they hate it, on a baseless idea that nuclear is dangerous and bad.

It's Olaf Scholz now. They're making great strides with wind and solar. And buying nuclear energy from France.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, ArthurSmith said:

And buying nuclear energy from France.

The grand solution to not using nuclear power is to buy nuclear power from your neighbors, brilliant. I wish I could be as smart as the Germans and mooch off my neighbors because of my beliefs.

Edited by VictorMedvil

4 minutes ago, VictorMedvil said:

The grand solution to not using nuclear power is to buy nuclear power from your neighbors, brilliant. I wish I could be as smart as the Germans and mooch off my neighbors because of my beliefs.

Especially when overproduction means it gets sold at a discount.

Edited by ArthurSmith

On 1/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, ArthurSmith said:

It's Olaf Scholz now. They're making great strides with wind and solar. And buying nuclear energy from France.

I doubt that will go on much longer:

France's Fessenheim nuclear plant, for years the focus of anti-nuclear protests, has been switched off after more than four decades.

The divisive plant near the borders of Germany and Switzerland produced 70% of the Alsace region's energy needs.

Fessenheim's closure raises questions over how the energy gap will be filled and what will happen to local jobs.

France has pledged to reduce its reliance on nuclear power by shutting down 12 nuclear reactors by 2035.

The country relies on nuclear energy for 70% of its electricity, a figure that will be cut to half over the next 15 years.

UNQUOTE

Source: France shutting down nuclear reactors - Bing

7 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

I doubt that will go on much longer

That's the snag with real life. There's no control to the experiment. Climate change is happening and I doubt there's enough time for humanity to affect the change. I'd love to be wrong for the sake of future generations.

2 hours ago, ArthurSmith said:

That's the snag with real life. There's no control to the experiment. Climate change is happening and I doubt there's enough time for humanity to affect the change. I'd love to be wrong for the sake of future generations.

I don't believe humanity has any way to affect the change, which has been happening in cycles for millions of years. But I am fairly certain we have the means to adapt to it. There may be many advantages to the Antarctic continent becoming at least partially ice-free. Who can say what minerals and other valuable treasures we may find there, not to mention increased land mass for human settlement. Also, an ice-free North may be very beneficial for shipping. I doubt very much if all of the ice will ever disappear, and if history is correct, it will all return with the next cold cycle in a few thousand years.

28 minutes ago, OceanBreeze said:

I don't believe humanity has any way to affect the change, which has been happening in cycles for millions of years.

Unfortunately, I agree. By the time it it is obvious to all that the changes are happening now and chaotic, not cyclical, it will be too late. It is, in my view, already too late but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, OceanBreeze said:

But I am fairly certain we have the means to adapt to it.

And I sincerely hope you are right. Just in case, I've chosen to live at an elevation of 280m. Coastal dwellers, pacific island nations, New Yorkers may need other plans.

32 minutes ago, OceanBreeze said:

There may be many advantages to the Antarctic continent becoming at least partially ice-free. Who can say what minerals and other valuable treasures we may find there, not to mention increased land mass for human settlement. Also, an ice-free North may be very beneficial for shipping. I doubt very much if all of the ice will ever disappear, and if history is correct, it will all return with the next cold cycle in a few thousand years.

Well, again, lets hope you are right. The problem is life is an experiment without a null hypothesis, there is no way to revers the time variable. The annoying thing for me is that so many things we can do to reduce carbon emissions, pollution, habitat destruction and so on would be worth doing anyway if Climate Change were a myth.