Science Forums

Photosynthesis

Ok can someone tell me if I'm on the right track with this question?

Question:

List the three major reactants required for photosynthesis to occur and list a plant adaptation to provide for these reactants to come together to produce glucose.

Are the three major reactants - Carbon Dioxide, Water and Oxygen

or are they asking for the Light dependent and light independent plus somthing else?

Boy I just can't comprehend science!!!! Also what do the mean by the last part of the question?

The question seems to be easy enough to answer on a general basis, but the way in which it is worded seems that whoever "they" are are looking for the very specific details. I'm assuming "they" is a teacher or professor...

I'll be back with the answer in a bit ;). I just need to figure out exactly what "they" 're asking :shrug:.

Well, after carefully reviewing the question me thinks that "they" are looking for the following answer:

Reactants for photosynthesis to occur: Light, Chlorophyll, Oxygen (Water actually, but the oxygen is taken from the water... :shrug: )

Plant adaptation to produce glucose : The "Calvin Cycle". It's a light independent reaction that occurs in the stroma. The process is also called "carbon fixation"

See, I did learn something in Biology class ;).

• 11 months later...

A bit late, but this seemed to be the best place to mention this article.

It is awesome that they are finally cracking how a leaf works with nanotecnology some chemistry and a buckyball.

Seems amazing that such an ubiquitous thing is so difficult to duplicate

Green leaves inspire solar cells

Anna Salleh

ABC Science Online

Monday, 4 September 2006

leaves

Molecules that mimic those in plants may be used to create organic solar cells (Image: iStockphoto)

Synthetic molecules that mimic chlorophyll in plants may one day form the basis of highly efficient solar cells, say Australian researchers.

Professor Max Crossley's molecular electronics group at the University of Sydney recently presented its research at the International Conference on Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines in Rome.

"Nature has evolved this very efficient process, over millions of years, for harvesting light and then converting it into energy," says Crossley.

"We're trying to mimic aspects of natural photosynthesis."

Dense arrays of chlorophyll molecules in leaves are responsible for converting light energy to electrical energy and then to chemical energy.

Critical to this function of chlorophyll is the pigment porphyrin, which is attached to a central magnesium ion.

lots more at

GREEN LEAVES INSPIRE SOLAR CELLS (Innovation & Technology News, 4/9/06) Synthetic molecules that mimic chlorophyll in plants may one day form the basis of highly efficient solar cells, say Australian researchers.

http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2006/1729572.htm?tech

Bhwaa... :eek_big:

Dude, you posted your genetic party animal story again. :shrug:

Sorry Please don't cry:)

This should be it. It is worth waiting for

GREEN LEAVES INSPIRE SOLAR CELLS (Innovation & Technology News, 4/9/06) Synthetic molecules that mimic chlorophyll in plants may one day form the basis of highly efficient solar cells, say Australian researchers.

http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2006/1729572.htm?tech