Science Forums

How can scientific knowledge help someone in his daily life ?

Daniel

Hi everyone,

Don't get me wrong, I know that science is very important and that it helps us a lot in our life, but my question is how Scientific Knowledge can help to the average man who is not a scientist? For example a simple worker in a factory, or a cashier in the supermarket, why should they learn biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, cosmology and other scientific fields? What practical use do they have with this knowledge at home? Or at work? Why do they need it?

(I'm talking about popular science level knowledge)

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Don't get me wrong, I know that science is very important and that it helps us a lot in our life, but my question is how Scientific Knowledge can help to the average man who is not a scientist? For example a simple worker in a factory, or a cashier in the supermarket, why should they learn biology, chemistry, astronomy, cosmology and other scientific fields?

Because they find it interesting. That's the best reason to do anything, not to gain anything else or for any reason other than what you get doing it.

11 minutes ago, A-wal said:

Because they find it interesting. That's the best reason to do anything, not to gain anything else or for any reason other than what you get doing it.

Yes I know that it's interesting, but is there any practical use for a popular science level knowledge in biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy and other popular scientific fields? I have a feeling that the answer is yes, I'm just looking for good examples that demonstrate it.

Edited by Daniel