Science Forums

Invention Follow-Up

Wizdumb

I'm writing to inform you all of a very important invention. I came up with this one several days after my original post, "Inventions 4 Every 1", and it involves idea #1. Basically, it's a way to make a car which never needs to be fueled and is inexpensive, safe, and clean.

The way to do it is simple. You use sets of magnets. I'll explain one set, although you can use variations and multiple sets. The set I will explain is a 3 set design.

You have three magnets, two on the outside which are completely stationary (attached to the insides of the car at key points). The third magnet is in the middle and it is on a track. The magnet in the middle is stronger than the two on the outside. When you move the middle magnet along it's track, it pushes on either the front or back magnet. So if you move it forward, it moves the car forward. The farther you push the middle magnet, the faster the car will go. In addition, moving it in the opposite direction the car is moving assists in braking. And that's about the extent of it. It's all very simple.

Unfortunately, there is one critical problem which would stop these cars from being manufactured and used. The problem lies in the magnetic fields. Unless we find a way to contain magnetic fields, we cannot use these types of cars and they will not provide a solution to the gas and oil problems. The strength of magnets required to move a car full of people, and whatever else is weighing it down, would be immense. The best way to handle the problem is to inform news agencies, colleagues, the government (who i'm sure would spend money in r&d to find a way to contain magnetic fields), and other people. The more people who know about it, the better, so they can keep it in their heads and maybe they'll stumble upon a solution.

On a side note, if anyone comes forward and tries to claim my inventions and ideas as their own, they are a fraud. I will never deliberately reveal my identity.

You don't have to stress about anybody trying to steal this particular idea, Wiz. Because it won't work.

The magnet supposed to be attracting the other two are also built into the chassis of you hypothetical car? Which means that instead of pulling the car forward, it'll attract the front of your car to the back where the other two magnets are attached. And if you make your magnets strong enough, you might find out pretty soon if your crumple zones are working or not.

Scenario 2: You use electromagnets, or even simpler, electric motors on each wheel.

With such magnets/motors needing sufficient power to pull a 1 - 1.5 ton vehicle, you need lotsa juice. I.e. Big kahuna engine spinning big kahuna generator electrifying big kahuna electromagnets. And with the inefficiency of said system, you'll probably use a lot more energy that a straightforward 8-cylinder gas-guzzler would if it just had a normal propshaft going to a set of fat gumballs on your rear axle in good ole' Detroit fashion - instead of wasting it through spinning a genny that juices up some magnets.

Soooooo - in my personal opinion, your patent is safe with you.

For an energy-efficient solution, you've gotta come up with more Wiz and less Dumb. :eek2:

(Sorry - I couldn't resist!)

Boerseun