Science Forums

An Unexpected Discovery

Dubbelosix

While having drunk a half a bottle of wine, I decided to shake it vertically. As expected, it throthed.

What I had not anticipated was the following. All the bubbles formed collapses fast in the center, leaving a ring of bubbles leaving in its wake, a ring of bubbles attached to the inner walls of the glass bottle. I conducted this twenty times with the same result. I noticed also that the collapsing center bubbles always rotated in a clockwise direction. I realized this was the same effect of the Coriolis effect in which water always goes in a particular direction when flushed in any sink hole. I came to the conclusion that the last of the bubbles attached to the bottle was due to two major factors, the least action principle and most likely linked to Van der Waals forces. Why is this interesting?

Hawking once said that the multiverse was much like opening a soda can, where the bubbles rise up from the phase we call nucleosynthesis. From this armchair experiment, we can presume that most of the universes have already collapsed where our universe is but a ”ring string" and is being rotated in a particular direction. This "bottleneck" interpretation must require an element of string theory where our universe is living in a multidimensional pool which is itself self-contained

Edited by Dubbelosix

While having drunk a half a bottle of wine, I decided to shake it vertically. As expected, it throthed.

What I had not anticipated was the following. All the bubbles formed collapses fast in the center, leaving a ring of bubbles leaving in its wake, a ring of bubbles attached to the inner walls of the glass bottle. I conducted this twenty times with the same result. I noticed also that the collapsing center bubbles always rotated in a clockwise direction. I realized this was the same effect of the Coriolis effect in which water always goes in a particular direction when flushed in any sink hole. I came to the conclusion that the last of the bubbles attached to the bottle was due to two major factors, the least action principle and most likely linked to Van der Waals forces. Why is this interesting?

Hawking once said that the multiverse was much like opening a soda can, where the bubbles rise up from the phase we call nucleosynthesis. From this armchair experiment, we can presume that most if the universes have already collapsed where our universe is but a ”ring string" and is being rotates in a particular direction. This "bottleneck" interpretation must require an element of string theory where our universe is living in a muktidimensional pool which is itself self-contained

Drunken physics discoveries are the best!

Hawking once said that the multiverse was much like opening a soda can, where the bubbles rise up from the phase we call nucleosynthesis. From this armchair experiment, we can presume that most of the universes have already collapsed where our universe is but a ”ring string" and is being rotated in a particular direction. This "bottleneck" interpretation must require an element of string theory where our universe is living in a multidimensional pool which is itself self-contained

If a half bottle of wine is enough to get you to this state of thinking impairment, I would hate to see what happens after a full bottle.

First, a nipick. “While having drunk a half a bottle of wine, I decided to shake it vertically. As expected, it throthed”

Throthed? I suppose you meant to write “frothed”, but with you, one never knows. I eagerly await you defense of using “throthed” as you never admit to being wrong, about anything.

Next, not a minor nitpick, not a nit pick at all. “I realized this was the same effect of the Coriolis effect in which water always goes in a particular direction when flushed in any sink hole”

False

rating-false.png

That is total nonsense!

Coriolis Force Effect on Drains

The Coriolis effect is so small that it plays no role in determining the direction in which water rotates as it exits from a draining sink or toilet. The Coriolis effect produces a measurable influence over huge distances and long periods of time, neither of which applies to the typical terrestrial bathroom.

It also obviously plays no role in the direction bubbles rotate in a wine bottle! If you did this twenty times, you were giving the bottle the same clockwise shake twenty times.

I can't wait to hear the argument you come up with! LOL

The effect is due to convection currents in the cylinder. Bubbles rise in a column which becomes focussed in the center by pressure equalization, which draws fluid to move up from the center of the cylinder, then move radially at surface to edge of container, then down sides and along bottom back to center & up again. The small bubbles are trapped at the edge because their diameter/volume is greater than the downward moving layer/force along the sides of cylinder. See "Brazil nut effect" for an analog with granules.

Edited by Turtle

The effect is due to convection currents in the cylinder. Bubbles rise in a column which becomes focussed in the center by pressure equalization, which draws fluid to move up from the center of the cylinder, then move radially at surface to edge of container, then down sides and along bottom back to center & up again. The small bubbles are trapped at the edge because their diameter/volume is greater than the downward moving layer/force along the sides of cylinder. See "Brazil nut effect" for an analog with granules.

Interesting, but it leaves one question out, why do the bubbles collapse quicker in the center, a lack of air? Because bubbles in baths can last a very last time.