Science Forums

How, if at all possible, can 2+2=7?

alexander

Just talking to a friend of mine, and he asked me an interesting question, and although the context of the discussion was theological, he basically asked that how can anything make 2+2 equal to 7... Well, i dont consider myself a math person, nor do i know physics well enough to come up with a logical answer, so perhaps someone could explain to me why or whether at all, is it possible for that to happen. ( "probability makes everything possible" , that i understand, but if anyone goes there, i'd really like to see equations and 3/4 of a way decent explanation)

P.S. purposely didnt post this in theology, frankly because in the the way that he asked that, it sounded like "... how can God make 2+2 to equal to 7? " and "well, god can do anything" is frankly not an answer i am seeking, but i feel i'd get a lot out there :hihi:

so in other words it is impossible under any conditions for 2+2 to equal to seven, which makes god not all powerful?

ok, how about if you have any kind of base shifting, time dialation, space/time continuum rips... everything is game, can the equation still be true where 2+2 can equal something other then 4?