Science Forums

Nemo's hunting trip

nemo

I'm going to Colorado to hunt elk in October. So far, I've got most of the essentials:

- rifle (300 WSM )

- revolver (Taurus .45)

- comms (Cobra 12 mile setup with nifty features like vibrate alert and channel security)

- boots (1000 gram Rockies)

- most of the other essentials (pack, clothes, tp...)

I think I've just about got Irish convinced that I absolutely NEED a Rokon TrailBreaker . After reading the specs, I'm amazed I've managed to survive this long without it. Does anyone have any experience with these things?

Also, does anyone have any words of advice before I wander off into the wilderness (GMU 80 and 81 here )?

Thanks

I think I've just about got Irish convinced that I absolutely NEED a Rokon TrailBreaker . After reading the specs, I'm amazed I've managed to survive this long without it. Does anyone have any experience with these things?

blah blah trailbreaker blah. that's all i've heard for weeks now. of course, it didn't help that i said he could get one if it could mow the lawn. and yep, you guessed it... it CAN. darn my big mouth!!

Also, does anyone have any words of advice before I wander off into the wilderness

Yeah.

Don't get eaten by a bear.

And if you know what's good for you, you better come home with a freezer full of elk!!

Seriously, I really hope you enjoy your trip. I know that I'll enjoy myself while you're away, since I'll be here with the kids... :eek_big:

• 3 weeks later...
Remember to pee before you start, always work your way upwind not down, wear blaze orange to keep you safe. Moderate your water intake - not too much and not too little. Oh, and when dragging an elk, pull the end with the handles.
Ofcourse, and don't forget the Whitecloud toilet tissue, the underbrush can give you an awful rash..........................Ha,ha,ha,ha

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I dropped him off at the airport today. He just called me from Chicago. He's now on his way to New Mexico, then driving fromt here to Colorado. How much fun do you think we had checking his hunting rifle and handgun through TSA? Eegads!!

So please keep us in mind this week, as I'm home alone with the babies, preparing for our vacation to Virginia Beach. Nemo will meet us there next Thursday for the last few days of our trip.

Will somebody please suggest some good chick flicks? I just know this is gonna be one very Lonnnnnnnnnng sleepless week~!

Princess Bride? Are you serious? That is the one movie that i can recite every single word of, without even thinking about it. When i see the neighbor kids off to the bus, I always yell, "Have fun storming the castle!"

The only other movie that I ever learned word for word was "The Breakfast Club". But that was back in high school, just a few months ago (well, ok, 140 months ago or so :) )

Good choices guys. "Love Actually" is also one of my faves. Last year's elk trip, when the neighbor went, I spent the whole time at their house, as his wife does NOT like to be left alone even more than I hate it. We watched just about every Brit chick flick out there, including Bridget Jones, at least 3 times each. What a week. I was talking like Madonna by the end of it. :)

Ok, so I decided to post an update since i just got off the phone with him - my last call from him until he gets off the mountain.

They got into ABQ last night, and drove up to base camp. They got into base camp around 3am, and were exhausted. They slept in the van, which made me a hero, since I badgered the guy at the rental place (over the phone at 10pm their time) to give them a van at no extra charge, since their reservation was messed up.

On their way to base camp, they saw a herd of elk, including a six-point buck, standing in the middle of the road. No guns allowed though, since the hunt doesn't actually start until Saturday. Today is setting up camp day, tomorrow is scouting, and Saturday through Tuesday is hunting.

The mountain peaks are covered in snow, and they are expecting more Saturday through Monday.

He says he's never been anywhere so beautiful, which is saying something as this man has travelled around the world.

He's promised to come down off the mountain to call if he gets an elk, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Elk jerky for all if he gets one. I'll make it and send it out for Christmas gifts.

___How do you make your own jerky Irish? I have tried using the oven & food dehydrators which work well enough, but the best results I found with those smokers. If you buy the chips & have a Weber type grill already it works OK too. I once left some venison in the smoker too long & not only was it almost bone dry, it took on a very vinegar/sour taste. One of my best tasting mistakes ever! :)

• 1 month later...

I'll let him tell you all about his hunting trip. We just had a conversation about him getting back on here, since he's been so wrapped up with schoolwork that he has no 'pleasure time' online these days. He's very bummed about that, and very exhausted from school as well.

I WILL say that he came back from the hunt very tired, incredibly relaxed, amazingly refreshed, and decidedly less than refreshing!! (that is to say - his stuff smelled really bad!! He was lucky enough to grab a shower in ABQ before getting on the plane though, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!!)

And I'll also tell you that we had a great few days in Va Beach, watching dolphins, playing in the waves, and hearing all of the stories about the hunt.

AND he's got some amazing pics to post as soon as he's done with school.

That's all I'm saying though... lol...like that wasn't enough, right???

I'll let him tell you all about his hunting trip. We just had a conversation about him getting back on here, since he's been so wrapped up with schoolwork that he has no 'pleasure time' online these days. He's very bummed about that, and very exhausted from school as well.

I WILL say that he came back from the hunt very tired, incredibly relaxed, amazingly refreshed, and decidedly less than refreshing!! (that is to say - his stuff smelled really bad!! He was lucky enough to grab a shower in ABQ before getting on the plane though, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!!)

And I'll also tell you that we had a great few days in Va Beach, watching dolphins, playing in the waves, and hearing all of the stories about the hunt.

AND he's got some amazing pics to post as soon as he's done with school.

That's all I'm saying though... lol...like that wasn't enough, right???

cool - will be looking forward to a play-by-play account and some pics later