Science Forums

Nemo's hunting trip

nemo

So here’s the wrap-up:

• Nobody in the group got an elk
  • I came close to being bear poo
  • I discovered gravity is even more frightening at two miles up

Our base camp was somewhere around 8000 feet, our hunting camp was in the neighborhood of 9000 feet, and my regular hunting spot was just over two miles elevation. We woke up each morning at 3, were out of the camp by 4, and up the mountain in time for sunrise. Climbing mountains at night was a new experience for someone who grew up in corn fields and spent his adult life near sea level, but the exhilaration of doing something new outweighed most of the exhaustion and the occasional concern about pebbles that never seemed to stop bouncing when kicked off the climbing trail.

On my first day hunting, I was situated at the top of a meadow on the mountain with the wind in my face. Most of the morning was uneventful, and a little before 11, I decided to circle around the meadow, just inside the tree line, in search of a better spot. Something I should have been more concerned about at the time was a period of about 30 minutes when the forest seemed to go dead silent, but I didn’t think much of it at the time. Not long after the forest regained its voice, two guys from our group were nice enough to point out the remarkably large bear prints, claw marks and pile of former woodland creatures that had appeared 50 yards downwind of where I’d been sitting most of the morning. I’d passed that spot no more than ten minutes before things went silent. Since my perch that day had been on flat land with my back to the trees that separated me from the large furry eating machine, I decided to pick a better spot for the rest of the trip.

The next day, I decided that I’d had enough of only being able to see a single meadow – I wanted to see everything. I climbed up to what appeared to be a high stand of trees and took a minute to survey my surroundings. The spot was a good one, and I could see well beyond the range of my rifle, but I could also see what appeared to be an even better spot a little further up. Not being one to settle for anything less than life-threateningly-stupid plans, I crawled up the mountain to the higher location. After a few minutes of enjoying the view at my new home in the heavens, I noticed a rock outcropping further up the mountain. Right about here is where most people tell me that red flags should have gone up in my mind.

Apparently my flags are a little slower than most. I start the climb up. After a few minutes of clawing my way up the mountain, I reached the base of the outcropping. I couldn’t make it up the right side – it was grass covered soil and approaching a vertical incline. I couldn’t see the left side, and didn’t feel like investigating. I could, however, see a crack running up the middle that looked large enough for me to fit into. Nope, no flags yet. I thought to myself, “I’ve seen this on TV”, and started up.

About half way up the outcropping, my left hand grabbed a small boulder that wasn’t as attached as I’d have preferred. As it fell down the mountain and I dangled momentarily, a number of things occurred to me:

• The people I see doing this on TV are generally wearing mountain-climbing gear. My present costume of cold-weather gear, rifle, sidearm, pack, water, 1000 gram Thinsulate boots and mittens might put me at a disadvantage for this little endevour.
  • You never really realize how far you’ve gone up until you look down.
  • Being happy with your life is much easier when the alternative is waiting for you at the bottom of a stupid idea.
  • I should probably investigate a different way down the mountain, if I get the opportunity.

The fact that I’m typing this lends itself to a happy ending: I did make it up to the top of the rock outcropping and I did manage to find a better way down the mountain. I even managed to take a few pictures while I was up there.

An ironic little twist to this story is that the only I saw during the open hunting season was right after I’d finished my climb up the outcropping – it passed within 200 meters of a member of our group who didn’t notice it because he was sure he’d get to see me fall of the mountain. Nice.

went to colorado once myself. waldon was the name of the county, i think.

didn't see any elk, but, saw several mule deer and moose.

the only one of my group to shoot an elk was my preacher, guess that means he wasn't praying for the whole group :naughty:

our camp was at about 9000 ft., my huntin spot about 10,000 ft. i found the elevation refreshing. i could actually breathe better, and my heart stopped skipping.

beautiful country out there.