Science Forums

Click "OK" to continue

why doesn't the ok button come with a confirmation?

eg -- are you sure you don't want to go back and read that again just to be sure you know exactly what it is you are doing?

so often i've screwed myself over because i hit ok too fast.

is this one of those modern "quick or be dead" survival of the fittest deals?

Generally, that's exactly the intended response...

Most browsers require user interaction to install software - the OK button is that conduit. If we are not talking about malicious code, then the general purpose of the OK button is to vague to make a 'back' button useful; many things simply don't have anything to go 'back' to. An example would be the 'net send' command to shoot a quick message to someone on a Windows network. Your message pops up in a little box with an OK button to kill the pop-up. Perhaps there could have been a better way to do it way back when, but now it's just the accepted standard for generic user response. Changing it to something logical that would pertain to the function calling it would probably add to the confusion already faced by the average computer user.

Another beauty of not working in a not-so GUI environment is that you never have to click any Ok buttons :D
I like my control key next to my A key. I'm old-fashioned that way... :1,$s/Cancel/Ok/g
Scary, there might be a few people on this website who would have a remote idea of how to actually operate my laptop.... scary ...
Muhuhahahaha! What's your ip address again alexander? telnet 192.... # cd / # rm -rf * .... :hihi:

Hack, Hack, Hack,

Buffy

Muhuhahahaha! What's your ip address again alexander? telnet 192.... # cd / # rm -rf *

first of all that wont work any longer on the current kernel version that I'm running, second of all unless you are the worlds top hacker, you wont be able to get into my computer, aside from the fact that the only service you will see is ssh, and there have been like 2 theoretical exploits for it in the past 10 years, the only info you get if you scan my system is my MAC, which, by the way, I scramble every time i request a connection, so you wont even find out my nic's chipset... But that aside, i do run SE patchset, iptables, and there is rarely a process executing that escapes my attention and everything gets logged darn well and i have learned to use a few tools of my own (like arp-sk, ethereal, ettertrap, nemesis and the paketto tool set, obviously netcat maybe a few other things that i cant think of at the moment...) so yeah go ahead. (oh and good luck with telnet :hihi: )

first of all that wont work any longer on the current kernel version that I'm running... so yeah go ahead. (oh and good luck with telnet :hihi: )
Man you're paranoid huh! Oh well, lemme find some other system to crack...

Cheers,

Buffy