Science Forums

Back to School

nemo

I just signed up for classes again, after a semester off that turned into a year :lol:

The problem I'm having is that the last time I took a math class was over ten years ago, and at that I believe it was Algebra 2. In order to complete my degree, I'm going to have to master calculus. I don't want quick "remember these 3 things to pass the test" books; I want to understand the mechanics inside and out, but I need something that doesn't already assume I have a solid background in mathematics.

Suggestions?

Most college "101" type introductory books won't assume you are coming in with more then algebra. James Stewart has a book "Single Variable Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" that is a rather well explained intro book, though it lacks some important topics (very little on vectors, polar coordinates, etc). I can highly recommend Thomas and Finney "Calculus and Analytic Geometry," which covers pretty much every introductory topic, and is a standard reference.

-Will

No, she prolly helped Newton develop Calculus! :lol: I shouldn't laugh, I think I'm a little bit older than she is...

Seriously, I love the "Dummies" books, and you should check out "Calculus for Dummies". I find these books are *much* better than any textbooks on getting across the concepts...

Cheers,

Buffy