Science Forums

PI Is Exactly 3!!!! Now that I got your attention...

Dundasbro

I am a certifiably bored 15 year old... Go figure... I joined these forums because of that and because I wanna learn more. I'm no genious but I wish I was :lol:

I'm happily athiest and are perfectly capable of arguing the case of god to anyone. I argue with my teachers alot and win arguements with half of them. I'm bored, someone entertain me

I am a certifiably bored 15 year old... Go figure... I joined these forums because of that and because I wanna learn more. I'm no genious but I wish I was :lol:

I'm happily athiest and are perfectly capable of arguing the case of god to anyone. I argue with my teachers alot and win arguements with half of them. I'm bored, someone entertain me

Welcome to Hypography Dundasbro, no reason to be bored. There is the vast internet for your enjoyment and of course, Hypography is always a good place to spend a little free time discussing various aspects of science, religion, and just about any subject you care to become involved in. Climb on board.........................enjoy the ride.

Guest loarevalo

Welcome. I precisely joined this because I'm not bored, but most of people I'm around are bored - or rather, mindless. If you're just bored, you may not find great interest here - because if you were interested in something you would seek after it, but if you don't have any interests, whatever you find will not suit you. Some said something like this "when on the ocean, if you don't now where you go, any wind is the wrong wind." Or like when Alice asked what way she should go, but she didn't even know where she was going, so it didn't matter what way she took.

If you like to argue. This is the place!

I'm bored, someone entertain me

http://motls.blogspot.com/2005/07/measuring-depth-of-ideas.html

Get a comfy chair and read it all.

At 15 you don't have the knowledge to calculate anything interesting. If you are immersed in American zero-goal education, you should not harbor the residual intelligence to do anything but follow orders and believe the truth of the moment (we have always been at war with Arabia; Japan has always been our ally). It is not THERAPIST, it is THE|RAPIST.

Look up the definition of "autodidact." Now do something about it.

http://www.google.com/

http://www.scirus.com/

http://arXiv.org/

http://scitation.aip.org/

Public education is lying to you. Support evolution - shoot back. You can't get good answers until you can construct good questions. That is what, day by day and year by year, they seek to destroy within you.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/xheli.png

If you cannot see the molecules in 3-D, you have something to learn.

Google

"magic eye" 132,000 hits

Learn how to look into stereodiagrams to see the 3-D image. BTW, algebra and analytic geometry are united through Euler's equation,

e^[i(pi)] = -1

There is no difference between physical reality and the math. Learn the math.

Guest loarevalo

At 15 you don't have the knowledge to calculate anything interesting.

I disagree somewhat. It doesn't require great technical knowledge to reason well. The most interesting calculations are the simplest, like 0+1=1. The interesting part is what you don't easily see, what you see with your "imaginative" sense and intuition. You can perfectly follow the following argument with your math (I think children may even understand it better than some conceited adults like us):

http://hypography.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3360

I started this thread. Sorry if it appears like self-promoting. I just wanted to show that a sophisticated level of education isn't required here - only a sophisticated level of understanding and an open mind.

a sophisticated level of education isn't required here - only a sophisticated level of understanding and an open mind.

You had best also look up the definition of "autodidact." You don't need a license to think... but the Patriot Act is being revised. Homeland Severity is everybody's duty. Inform on your neighbors right now. From A Clockwork Orange,

Minister: "Cram criminals together and what do you get - concentrated criminality, crime in the midst of punishment."

Governor: "I agree, sir, what we need are larger prisons - more money."

Minister: " Not a chance, my dear fellow. The Government can't be concerned any longer with outmoded penological theories. Soon we may be needing all our prison space for political offenders."

There is only one crime and that is all crimes, thoughtcrime! Overthrow a parliament of whores, criminals, and idiots - think.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/

Author of Underground History of Education and Dumbing Us Down which challenge the myth that modern mass education is for the efficient advancement of civilization.

Albert Einstein once said "The only thing that stands in the way of my learning is my education". He hated school and failed maths, his teacher recommended coal mining as a job for him :lol:

At 15 you don't have the knowledge to calculate anything interesting

Its true that most 15-year-olds, particularly American ones, don’t yet have good practical math skills. However, the idea that no one under 16 can contribute interesting things to Math contradicts history and tradition.

The early 20th century math society Borbaki contended that, if a person had not layed the foundation for an original contribution to Math by the age of 16, they were unlikely to, ever. There’s good evidence that they are right in this assertion. Many great mathematicians were child prodigies, and many either died or ceased to produce novel results before their 25th birthday.

If this is true, it makes the widespread weakness in early math education all the more alarming, because our current system, which typically delays teaching students advanced math until they are in their early 20s, is starting much too late.

PS:

Welcome, Dundasbro, and be assured you’re at an ideal age for Math, and deep thought in general. You’ve found a great place for it.

Its true that most 15-year-olds, particularly American ones, don’t yet have good practical math skills. However, the idea that no one under 16 can contribute interesting things to Math contradicts history and tradition.

Thank you Craig, even though I am Australian I still believe that education over here could be much better

Guest loarevalo
Many great mathematicians were child prodigies, and many either died or ceased to produce novel results before their 25th birthday.

I see how that makes sense: These prodigies would develop their novel idea (or discover grounds to build a theory) in a couple of years, then spend the rest of their lifetime persuading their hard-headed adult contemporaries to consider the idea.

The ideas that are accepted immediately are too easy to see (provable) and thus are probably trivial, the direct implications of an already accepted theory.

I see how that makes sense: These prodigies would develop their novel idea (or discover grounds to build a theory) in a couple of years, then spend the rest of their lifetime persuading their hard-headed adult contemporaries to consider the idea.

The ideas that are accepted immediately are too easy to see (provable) and thus are probably trivial, the direct implications of an already accepted theory.

:)

I guess I'm trying to "persuade my hard-headed adult [counterparts]" that Perpetual Motion is possible then :).

I'm sixteen :evil:.