Science Forums

Designing & building Robots

Kizzi

When will self replicating humanoid robots exist?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When will self replicating humanoid robots exist?

• Never
    • 1,000,000 years time
    • 1000 years time
    • 100 years time
    • 50 years time
    • 25 years time

Questions by Kizzi:

Will the self-replicating robots be aware as well as intelligent?

Eventually? Maybe. The first ones? No.

How do you design awareness?

Develop the self-learning-adaptive-to-stimilus algorithms and field test it in a machine against humans(UCAVs).

How do you design consciousness?

Build machines to use self-generated symbol sets to communicate with each and cross -program themselves in response to environmental stimulus.

Are the Honda Robots that can balance on two legs aware of balancing?

No.

I'm unable to answer any of these three questions but I do have a comment to make about artificial intelligence. And that comment would be; Artificial intelligence is, in my opinion, much closer to becoming a reality than we might expect. Once that happens, the acceleration of technology in all of these areas will amaze humanity. The question then becomes, are we ready to become subject to this higher level of intelligence that artificial technology will, without a doubt, force upon us?

Kizzi :eek2:

Not yet, and I emphasize Not yet, would be my opinion.

• 2 months later...
Guest jamongo

I voted in the poll and chose 100 years. Actually I believe it will occur much sooner than that, but I can't change my vote.

Here is a short quote from an article I recently read:

Straight out of the pages of science-fiction - and Hollywood (see I, Robot) - scientists in the United States have managed to grow a brain in a dish.

Hopefully, that short piece will generate enough interest in some of the readers to follow this link to the complete article:

Click Here

As stated in this thread, "It is only a matter of time."

Jamongo

• 3 months later...
Will agile, dextrous self replicating intelligent robots, on par with humans, be a reality in the future, designed & built by humans, and eventually themselves?

Kizzi :naughty:

My sense is that the agility and dexterity will be possible in the near future.

Self-replication would depend on how fundamental the pieces available for assemble are available to the robot. If it simple welds the head to the body then I would suggest that is possible today. If he must fabricate microchips from raw elements that may be awhile. Humans require an entire ecosystem to self-replicate.

Intelligence is the real issue. If an artificial brain were capable of functioning in the way that a human brain does it would need a comparable environment to develop and learn in. Perhaps this development could be downloaded but that would suggest an inability of the robot to deal with nuance peculiar to its environment. If the robot brain must be raised like a child then it would have to offer some efficiency advantage over that person in order to be an alternative to using a person to do the job.

Self-awareness can mean many things. Knowledge of ones mortality, emotional state, place in a family or culture, ones past, personal goals and future could all be considered elements of self-awareness. If a robot possesses any of these is it self-aware or must is possess all aspects of human self-awareness? Consider that the robot could be self aware in ways that humans are not.

My friend Yukon is already has a degree of self-awareness. When its transmission fluid gets to hot is shuts down the engine.

I suggest that self awareness is simple the inclusion of dynamic data regarding the robots physical and logical parameters.

I am uncertain what you mean by consciousness?

In people there is a conscious mind and an unconscious mind. The conscious mind occurs when new situations are encountered and requires the focus of the mind. The conscious mind employs reasoning and logic. The unconscious minds functioning is the application of conclusions that have already been arrived at in a generalized context. Unconscious functioning is often manifested as inclinations, intuition, and emotional responses.

I suspect that the human mental dynamic you refer to as consciousness is a product of these and other factors of human mental function. For this to be manifested in a robot would therefore depend on the degree to which these humanlike mechanisms exist in the robot.

Kizzi :naughty:

If the feat of balancing is accomplished through their logical functioning and it includes data on balance parameters then yes they are aware of balancing.

Most robots a designed for a specific task. People are not. If you are wondering is a robot could duplicate human thinking and funcitoning I suggest it is not likely. Here are some aspects of human functionality.

Humans can deal with complex and relatively unfamiliar environments. It takes a person somewhere between 15 to 25 years to learn to do this and many never do. I suggest a robot would have to acquire a similar degree of acquired experience to do this. If it takes this degree of resources to teach a robot what advantage does it have over a person?