Science Forums

Water Cooling?

Hi every one,

I was watching the discovery channel a week ago, if not less than, and I got a quick glance at some interesting technology. I was hoping you guys can help me figure out what this was and where I can read more about it.

All I remember is a scientist in a lab holding a can (solid silver can)with some weird addon at the very bottom which supposedly made you'r drink extremely cold within seconds.

Thannks,

SG

Hey guys at MIT used liquid Nitrogen to cool a processor overclocked to 6 Gigs. It sounds pretty cool, wonder if our college would ever get enough funds to make a system like that lol :)

yeah but you can do that, you can have a super insolator, pour some liquid nitrogen on the bottom of the pan, then put a small rack over the nitrogen, put a can of soda on top of that and design a suitable lid for that made of the very same material as the bottom was made out of, then wait for a few minutes, and your drink might already be frozen...

Hey guys at MIT used liquid Nitrogen to cool a processor overclocked to 6 Gigs. It sounds pretty cool, wonder if our college would ever get enough funds to make a system like that lol :)

yeah but you can do that, you can have a super insolator, pour some liquid nitrogen on the bottom of the pan, then put a small rack over the nitrogen, put a can of soda on top of that and design a suitable lid for that made of the very same material as the bottom was made out of, then wait for a few minutes, and your drink might already be frozen...

Lol, yeah I remember reading his whole article.

But I don't think it was liquid nitrogen in this case, at least I'm not convinced.

it doesnt have to be liquid nitrogen for this, as an example there is a restaurant that uses that method to cook fish, they pour hot water on the bottom and put fish on the grill thingy, close it up and the fish is fully cooked in about 20 minutes... so just about any liquid that is chilled very well...

Hey guys at MIT used liquid Nitrogen to cool a processor overclocked to 6 Gigs. It sounds pretty cool, wonder if our college would ever get enough funds to make a system like that

1) It is not clever to dump 120 W thermal into a pool of liquid nitrogen. Makeup gets expensive real fast.

2) Cycling from ambient temp (300 K) to liquid nitrogen temp (77 K) and back rips up solder connections, chip packaging, and whole boards from different coefficents of thermal expansion.

3) Condensing moisture when you do warm up is death.

4) Your hard drive must be remote. Its lubrication won't tolerate the low temps. A couple of feet of parallel cabling give you speed and data fideliity problems.

5) Doubling the speed of a CPU is nice boasting rights. Assemble a Beowulf cluster and get more speed for a smaller budget over time.

Modern CPUs use ceramic insulation and dielectric layers hardly more than one crystallographic unit cell thick. Chip architecture is creeping 90 nm and soon 60 nm, the limits of manipulating light for photolithography. (Visible light quits at 400 nm, UV quits around 180 nm). CPU area is huge. The economics shift toward multiple-core CPUs and parallel systems with stadard chips.

Gamers are installing multiple bleeding edge video cards in parallel in high-end hardare. That's scary all by itself.

no beowulf clustering, try out linux computing clusters, those are awesome to the point of extreme awesomeness!

oh and it is nvidias SLI chipset that allows for paralell running video cards, quite amazing, but whats more amasing is using the GPUs to halp you compile your normal code, its a crazy project, hope i get to test it out someday...

different clusters and i meant penguin computing. and Beowulf religious definition has something along the lines of you cant be running Linux if you want your cluster to be beowulf.

Huh? From beowulf.org:

"Beowulf Clusters are scalable performance clusters based on commodity hardware, on a private system network, with open source software (Linux) infrastructure. The designer can improve performance proportionally with added machines. The commodity hardware can be any of a number of mass-market, stand-alone compute nodes as simple as two networked computers each running Linux and sharing a file system or as complex as 1024 nodes with a high-speed, low-latency network."

I've never seen Beowulf configured on anything but Linux myself...

hey, hey i thought i said religious, more referring to things that you dont get off of their official site. naah, quite a few other oses can do beowulf clustering, BSD, VMS and Ultrix as far as i can remember.

Still penguin computing clusters kill anything else at this point in my mind, they do use Scyld beowulf clustering software with new PathScale compilers which boost the performance of an already performing app (well heck even their 16 processor cluster of dual 64 bit opteron servers, you'd think that it would perform) by up to 40%. The crazy cool thing is that the cluster is seen as one machine, processes running on the other servers are recognised as the processes on the head node, there is also no real OS installed on any of the servers except for the head node, they have somekind of a small thingy but it's not a true os, oh and you dont need to learn how to program for the cluster (trust me code written for cluster knoppix looks crazy), you just write your regular code and then you just have super crazy powerful computer to run it with parallell processing and sultra fast computing (i'm jelous of all the people that have an AMD64 at this point, but i might hold off until dual core amd64 laptops start coming out next year...