Science Forums

If You Can't Beat Them Give Them An Apple Of A Different Color?

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

seems like apple has finally come to its senses

changing to intel, creating a poweruser friendly mouse, releasing tiger (arguably the best OS no earth)

could it be that apple might actually be trying to take on MS before the launch of its most important OS yet?

all apple has to say is clone. allowing 3rd party construction of apple boxes and the era of the wintel PC might come to a crashing end.

frankly i'm debating it heavily... dual boot VIsta and Tiger? on the same box, same human interface devices and x800 AIW? i think its a dream come true if true...

one question.. is there a USB 2.0 recharging by directional induction transluscent laser wireless mightymouse?

Apple has not been clever going with Intel. AMD Athlon 64 CPUs beat the snot out of Intel Pentiums. They run cooler, they are 16-, 32-, and 64-bit compatible right back to 808x hardware and code, they handle memory bandwidth much better, they can have up to 40% greater throughput on a task... and Athlons are 10-20% cheaper than "equivalent" Pentiums. You can run native 64-bit computing in AMD hardare plus 64-bit Linux builds, today. Try that with Intel.

Intel hardware substantially beats AMD in Media creation speed - but only in software that is specifically written to Intel architecture. Intel has given "support" (payola) to a large number of Media software houses.

My bleeding edge Athlon 55 FX 64 crunching serious math interations flat out for days on end, continuous 99+% CPU use, sits at 40 degrees C with an almost silent fan. I suppose you could cool a Pentium to run at 40 C - with a kilowatt of liquid cooling.

Intel Inside is a second-rate box.

Apple has not been clever going with Intel. AMD Athlon 64 CPUs beat the snot out of Intel Pentiums...
No, they've been practical. And the fact is that AMD has made it easy to get there from the initial Intel port (the big problem *really* being doing both 32-bit and 64-bit ports). I know Steve Jobs: if you're thinking they're not going to have something available for AMD boxes very soon, you're not thinking clearly. Saying Intel first was only to get the market to sit up and listen to the message "Apple is invading MS's turf." If the initial announcement had been "OS X goes to AMD" the market's reaction would have been "there they go again with their dreamy 'we do it better' attitude". This is REALLY good marketing...

Cheers,

Buffy

I think IBM slacked on delivery too often and Apple had no choice but to ditch them. Apple could see the coming chip competition namely: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo game consoles which will out-sell Apple hardware by a scale of magnitude. IBM won't care about Apple's tiny share of the hardware market.

Intel is a good move, they're a relatively reliable volume producer and make decent chips with the promise of multiple core. I can imagine Apple's strategy to fade out the 'G' chip advertising might be along the lines of "The power of 2 in one" tagging the chips "X2" or something suitably groovy.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, I never thought they were a competitor - it's not like there ever was cross hardware compatibility - Apple are a hardware manufacturer, and a small one at that.

However, Microsoft would need to worry if the move to x86 makes it possible to install OSX on non-Apple hardware. I can imagine a program downloadable from Apple's site which will ascertain if your hardware is compatible flashing "Yes, you can run OSX. Buy it and it'll install over Windows" if it qualifies. Then we'd see some major ripples in the OS market share stakes.

note to myself.

Must try Opendarwin (OD) on one of the other machines handy (AMD xp2100) if I get Xopen going on that it will be bye bye BillyG for me.

I believe that it is the nvidia card in the p4 that may be stopping OD running. Tried th install on a p3-800 & p?-166 , but no joy there. :rolleyes: