Science Forums

Do U VOIP?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5815406.html

not yet but you might soon

imagine a cell phone or PDA with connectivity to the net at speeds rivaling dsl and cable?

for now portable hardware isn't designed to deal with the speed but now that a voip and wiMAX teamup has occured it won't be long before nexgen cells and mobilecons are built to take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

playing online games with psp from anywhere, making FREE calls from your crystal clear VIDEO handheld phone.. the skies the limit for applications that will exploit 802.16

um, I'm sure that you know this, but the whole point of DSL is to provide internet service while not limiting the phone one either... its not the VOIP phone that you are really using to do that, it is the filter that you plug into your phone line to make your dsl work.

Infact you can visit http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm and read about how DSL works and find out why that post has nothing to do with VoIP.

What I was referring to when i said i dont have the money to get VoIP is that i cant buy a VoIP phone, simply because i cant afford a new toy out of my current budget. Can i still use VoIP, ofcourse, actually i was one of the few people who has done some translations for Skype all the way back when it was still in its alpha stages, there is a port of skype to Linux, and OS X, so I'm ok with it, I just dont have a need to use it at this point in time...