Science Forums

If there is no BIGGEST number, is there a SMALLEST?

Guest loarevalo

Hi! Tormod,

I believe it was when cwes00_03 made this statement.

That would imply that there is something outside of our universe, which then by definition becomes part of our universe, therefore no.

Outside of the universe is the empty set, meaning there is no information contained in the set.

cwes00_03's statement made me come to believe the opposite. That is to say, that our universe, is part of what is, “the outside”, of our universe.

:hihi:

This has in fact been discussed several times before - what infinity is, what is "outside" the universe, the multiverse theory etc. Our universe may well be both infinite yet finite, which is a geometrical possibility. If our universe is indeed a brane floating in a multi-dimensional world then we also are one of many universes, even though ours may be infinitely large within the dimensions we observe. There are many explanations here and just as many philosophically sound (or otherwise) theories. :hyper:

• 1 month later...

hey im a new user and i actually just found your site today while searching for as usual a different morphology of an infinite number system on google. (those were not the actual search terms) but i am quite surprised that you live in tyler texas too. now we are two peole with near the same general interests at near the same general locations...

i am currently an undergrad in uttyler, majoring in math - as such i am not qualified to make any general sweeping statements about math. but i do know this: what you were saying about extending the present number system is quite interesting to me. i have my own theory on this which can be found in the following site:

http://www.livejournal.com/~xesar/9490.html

i hope its not too bothersome a theory to be considered by greater minds. the only catch to it is i never actually found a great use for it. so ever since i first came up with this around 3 or 4 years ago i been trying to construct a different number system based loosely on the same principles. i think its safe to say that it has led me nowhere but indeed i even changed my major to math because of it. so that i dont even know what il be when i graduate. this has become a continuing passion of mine but ive had to dilute it with my other passions in order to be realistic. if the greatest minds havent thought of a perfect system by now... well i dont exect to come up with anything so close so soon. but this is all i got to share along with my other notes which might take forever to compile so nitpick however you want, i dont mind. in my experience the details count more for generating truly unique ideas than trying to come up with one out of the blue and not even from a scratch or an itch...:hihi:

hey im a new user and i actually just found your site today while searching for as usual a different morphology of an infinite number system on google. (those were not the actual search terms) but i am quite surprised that you live in tyler texas too. now we are two peole with near the same general interests at near the same general locations...

Welcome xesar,

This was a good chance to learn math and other science here. I've learned math as a compulsary subject since i'm an engineering undergrad. My current interest is philosophy and religion. (Analyse the religion with philosophical basis;) ) However, i know science more than my interest:doh:

• 2 weeks later...

for some reason its not informing me whether theres a new post...

anyways i hav researched this topic well and seen more crank sites about this topic than u can imagine. nevertheless there are a few gems, like this one:

http://www.matematik.su.se/~jesper/research/wheels/

i probably already talked to the guy who made this but i lost his contact ove the years but i found it again quite by accident a couple of days ago. his theory is actually beter than my theory as it is more mathematical. im hoping that someday i can read these kinds of texts. but for now i am quite satisfied with giving them up to my professors for review. currently i have submitted to two mathematicians and im fixing to talk to the guy again as soon as i get his address. but for now please consider this as it took me the longest time to refind...

Hi! loarevalo. :rainbow:

Based on this new law of mine I call, "Law of Zero". I am able to step up to the plate and hit the ball out of the park. What I'm saying is that, Zero (0) is equal to Infinity.

Example: 0 = ∞ or Zero (0) is equal to Infinity.

1. Finite basically means anything or anyone created is limited in size or extent. Borders.

2. Infinite basically means nothing created is limitless in space, extent, or size. No borders.

3. Zero means, a number not created, has a beginning, a point of origin but is limitless in space, extent, or size. No borders.

The number Zero (0), exist in infinity because the number Zero (0) is not just equal to infinite but is infinite.

I hope this will help you in your quest in search for the meaning of Zero (0)

:rainbow:

Hi! loarevalo :)

I had time to sleep on it as to give an example as to how Zero (0) can be the Biggest number & the Smallest number. Here goes nothing.

Example:

1. Zero (0) is the Biggest number when going from Zero (0) to -1, -2, -3, -4, > to Infinity.

2. Zero (0) is the Smallest number when going from Zero (0) to +1, +2, +3, +4, > to Infinity.

I believe this sounds right. What do you think?

I love waking up to a great tasting smell of coffee.

:lol:

Forgot to tell:

These are ideas that I have thought over for many years. Most of the initial entry is an actual argument that I have sent to many colleagues - It didn't come up from the blue in five minutes!

In maths the smallest number is 0 because zero still defines itself as being a number, quantity is obviously a sum, but it can be as low as 0. 1 - 1 = 0. zero is still a number