Science Forums

Lab Re: Wavelength and Frequency

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a quick and simple lab that will allow me to determine the relationship between frequency (f) and wavelength (lambda). I need to be able to do this lab and find a relationship. Please reply if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

For help about a lab you'd find help more easily in Science Projects, I can even move this thread into there.

Essentially the relation is given by the wave's propagation velocity and I would suggest using something to generate regular waves on the surface of water. This would make it possible to have different propagation velocities too.

Frequency vs. wavelength of what? Sound (including transverse excitations in solids), electromagnetic waves, something else? Do you care about refractive index and dispersion?

Wavelength is easy to measure by diffraction (slit, double slit, grating) or resonance (e.g., organ pipes, chimes, etalons). Frequency counting is very much different. If you have a standard you can look at beats, Lissajous fugures, or freeze it with a variable strobe.

• 3 months later...