Science Forums

St. Petersburg Heist

Queso

Yesterday i was in downtown st. pete, florida.

i was starving, and broke.

so i pretended i was homeless, and realized that it is really hard not having a place to live. so i decided to help them out.

it was getting late, some stores were closing. but surely enough, atlanta bread co. was still open, and sitting right beside their front door (on the inside) was a huge bag of the days old bread and bagels.

what were they going to do with them?

throw them away? waste.

give them to the homeless? i hoped. but how could i be sure?

i could have easily asked, but this was a task i decided i had to do on my own.

on my way out of the store i swung the giant plastic bag of breads behind my back like santa clause, and headed for the streets.

i offered everybody bread, and nobody wanted it.

NOBODY.

what?????? i was blown away.

i thought i was doing the world a favor and feeding the needy, but they didn't even want it!!!

it was if they thought the bread was poison or something.

this is truly the age of fear, ALL OVER AGAIN.

us americans are always so afraid, IT SICKENS ME.

nobody around me takes risks, PSH, nobody around me even eats free bread. WHAT THE @&*#@^#(@#@

Ugh! I know what you mean. When I was in high school, one of my many part time jobs was in a restaurant. They threw food away by the trash can full, every single night. Now this wasn't 'bad' food. It was food that had been cooked that very same day. So I went to the manager and asked if I could take the food to a shelter downtown. And you know the answer, right?....."NO WAY". It seems that they had tried that once before and someone got sick the next day, and blamed it on the food, and threatened to sue the place. Even though over 50 other people at that dame food, and nobody else got sick, so it probably wasn't even the food that did it. And when I asked at the shelter/soup kitchen, they said that any pre-cooked food had to be checked by the health department, and that was just too much of a hassle (plus expensive, apparantly). So insted of feeding the hungry people on the streets, the food just went into the dumpster.

Didn't make a whole lot of sense to a very idealistic teenager.

And it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to a slightly cynical adult. :xx:

It is weird. They destroy the food and lock the dumpsters here, too.

Apparently, the "poor" would otherwise just sell it to make money, and upset the economy of the store. The UK doesn't have anyone who actually "needs" that food, so I guess they are right, since it makes more sense to give them taxpayers' money, right? Better they eat out of a skip...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do that often. But now, nemo gets very upset if I pick anyone up, especially if I have kids in the car. So I tend to let him do the philanthropical stuff.

Do you have any idea how many people in this country's capitol beg for money 'for food', but are offended if you offer to buy them a meal? He gets that a lot. He's more than willing to buy a homeless person dinner on his way to the train station, but has been turned down more times than I can count. And he's actually gotten cussed out a time or two, from what I understand. They can't work a regular job, but are willing to hold up a sign saying "Will work for food", but turn food down when offered to them? Puh-leaze!

I'm still a bit idealistic, although not a teenager.

And when I asked at the shelter/soup kitchen, they said that any pre-cooked food had to be checked by the health department, and that was just too much of a hassle (plus expensive, apparantly). So insted of feeding the hungry people on the streets, the food just went into the dumpster.
I think the mistake is in the "too much hassle". It would be wrong to be careless but it should be up to the shelter to accept donations and see to any necessary checking. Donors should only be responsible in clearly deliberate cases.

People just can't be bothered.

If you want to get them to eat it, and be happy, just set up a sign saying "Buy one, get one free!" and charge 15 cents a loaf. You'll run out in minutes, and you can donate the money later.

Free advice is worthless. Make them pay $500 an hour, and they will destroy the company on an obviously doomed path using the $25000 map.

Bought a homeless chap a cup of tea once. He was a nice enough guy. The McDonald's staff wanted to throw him out again, but he was with us, and a paying customer, so they couldn't. Normally he would beg until he could afford a tea, then sit in the resturant for hours, till the police were asked to move him on...

hah. agreed.

i tend to base my day on being bothered. (complete opposite)

i love the spontanious and planless and the moment

tomorrow? what? what's that?

whatever it is i'll worry about it tomorrow.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

Oh, sorry, you just sounded so much like Scarlet O'Hara there I just couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Hey orb, nkt might be on to something. Charge 25 cents a loaf, then drop your profits in the cup of the man standing closest to the liquor store. That way you know the money is going to good use!