Science Forums

SIZE!!!

OpenMind5

Hello everyone,

I want to bring up a dicussion of size...how big are things really? I'm sure we have all tryed to imagine the size of the universe or how small atoms things can break down into...i guess, what i'm getting at is, How big are we in caperision to the universe and molecules? Does the Universe ever stop? Is there a stop sign that says, "STOP, end of universe and exsistance!" Or coudl there be a Shell? Like the universe to us is and egg that we could break throuh into another world? Are there worlds in worlds? If so, what about a blade of grass? Ok, lots of questions, and i hope all of you understand, and this makes you think....please respond, ether telling I'm crazy, or I may have something going here! * (OK, sorry about spelling, i never was good at that! If you think that is bad, you should see my hand writing! LOL)

OPENMINDFIVE

From zero to infinite? What aboout below zero? I guess what I'm getting at, if any of you have seen men in black 2...they have that small world in his locker, and then will smith opens a door and our world is in a locker.... ANd what is the big bang? I have heard refrence to it before......what is it?

OPENMINDFIVE

below zero??? that means the thing doesnt even exist!!! size means something take space, if its negative, that means it creates space???!!!!???? what is it then????

its pointless to talk about size, we humans only see what we can see. things beyond the wavelength of visible light is pointless to us in a way. our measurment is not enough to the world, our way of compare is not enough either.

Ok, hey everyone…. Maybe I started out asking you the wrong question or you just don‘t understand where or what I mean…. Let me tell you about something I read….by the way…I’m not crazy!

“The universe offers a paradox too great for the finite mind to grasp. As the living brain cannot conceive of a nonliving brain-although it may think it can-the finite mind cannot grasp infinite…the greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but size. SIZE! Size encompasses life…. The child who sits at home and asks his father: Dad what is beyond the sky? Father: Darkness of space. Child: What is beyond the darkness of space? Father: The galaxy. Child: And what is beyond the galaxy? Father: Another galaxy. Child: And what’s beyond that? Father: No one knows…you see? Size defeats us all! Look at the fish in the lake, he lives in his own universe…but what does he think when he is jerked up by the mouth through the silver limits of existence and into a new universe where the air drowns him and the light is blue madness…Or one might take the point to f a pencil and magnify it. One reaches the point where a stunning realization strikes: the pencil is NOT solid but composed of atoms, which whirl around and revolve like trillion demon planets. What seems solid to us is actually only a loose net held together by gravitation. Shrunk to the correct size, the distance between these atoms might become leagues, gulfs, and aeons. The atoms themselves are composed of nuclei and revolving protons and electrons. One may step down further to subatomic particles. And then what? Tachyons? Nothing? Of course not! Everything in the universe denies nothing…”

Now here is my question? If you were to go to the limits of the universe, would you find a fence? Or maybe a shell, that we could break through, to find we are actually discover that our universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass?

“Perhaps if you saw the universe from the point of view of that atom on the blade of grass. Could it be that everything we perceive, is held in a blade of grass…Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met in a single place, like an atom…”

Now maybe you can understand my question of size…. Is this possible?

What are your options? Am I still crazy?

SIZE!

Open Mind Five

i personally believe that there is something beyond the universe and the subatomic particles.

in the string theory, stings are in extreme tiny 6 dimensions world. which is too small so we cannot see. but in the 11th dimension, it is so board that it is called a membrane, everything in the world happens "on" this membrane. (i dont really understand this part : ). tiny particles may actually be very big in other dimensions.

maybe, space doesnt even exist, its fake. so, nothing takes places, there would be no size.

Openmind - I repeat, you are crazy. And I mean that in a good way. To think about these things...seek help!

No, I'll be serious. Let's begin with the larger stuff. Consider this:

Instead of thinking of our universe as a sphere (or even an onion with layer after layer of star systems, galaxies, galactic clusters, superclusters etc), take away a dimension and think of it as a flat area. Now imagine that this flat area is the shape of a sphere, so that our visible universe forms some sort of two dimensional shape on that sphere (like a circle drawn on a balloon).

Anywhere you go within that circle is our universe. And here is the catch: we don't know what is outside. Why? Because in the 13,7 billion years since the Big Bang took place, that is as far as the observable universe has expanded around us.

What would happen if you move towards the edge of the circle? Nothing. You would still see more universe in all directions.

The balloon on which our visible universe rests is expanding, which means that the visible universe grows at an increasing rate (bigger and bigger diameter).

Note how this explanation shows that the surface of the universe may have a finite size (the total surface of the balloon) while it will appear infinite to us as observers - just like observing the Pacific ocean from a boat in the middle of it.

Tormod

• 4 weeks later...

wahey, tormod to the rescue.

anyway, what about a doughtnut shape with the hole in the middle as a singularity point where the centre of the universe is? that would still make it finite in size. (i'm just a regular bloke with no knowledge about all this stuff)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it dpes depend on what we define as the universe. Technically, it does not expand into anything, since the universe is "everything". What is outside does not exist.

However, if we talk about the *observable* universe, which is the part of our universe that we can see, it is expanding so that we see even more of the rest of the universe. From observations we know that the universe looks the same in all directions, so it is easy to assume that as the observable universe expands, we will see more of the same.

But if you ask what is outside ALL of our universe, there are still some options:

1) Like I said, nothing. Our universe is everything, so there is no "outside"

2) According to the "multiverse" theory, our universe is one of many. So outside our universe will be other universes.

3) Our universe is a bubble inside a larger universe (our Big Bang was a "local event") so it is expanding inside a larger universe where the laws of physics may be different than those in our own.

2) and 3) are rather speculative and, sadly, completely unprovable by today's standards. 1) used to be the accepted standard although these days I have a feeling that most cosmologists are starting to accept 2).

The reason for this is usually explained in something called "the anthropic principle" (google it for an explanation) - which is, to put it bluntly - ways to explain how a universe with living observers evolved.

Also, string theory predicts (okay, wrong word - "implies" might be better) that the Big Bang was not the beginning of time, and that the Big Bang did not grow out of a singularity. I guess that would be an argument for 3).

Am I making sense?

Tormod

• 11 months later...

Woow, i was taking a look at this old post of mine, and i have to laugh. My intellect has increased since then...I seemed soo innocent, and as tormod pointed out...crazy! LOL But i still have that question...crazy! The string theory is definety been somthin gthat i ahvespent time talking to my teachers about and even blowing their minds.

Op5