Science Forums

What is good government?

infamous

I don't believe in democracy. I think that the general public is too ignorant to make decisions :shrug:
So let me get this straight, we common citizenry are not smart enough to govern ourselves. Let me quess, you would like that job, right? I don't think so.........................................I'm not ready for some smart guy like you to set my agenda. Thanks, but no thanks.

So let me get this straight, we common citizenry are not smart enough to govern ourselves. Let me quess, you would like that job, right? I don't think so.........................................I'm not ready for some smart guy like you to set my agenda. Thanks, but no thanks.

Either I didn't make my point clear enough or you just missed it. I said nothing about the public running their own lives - I said they are (in general) not informed enough to make global decisions which require specialized knowledge (or elect people suitable enough to do that for them... although I suppose they don't have a huge selection to choose from; another problem for another discussion). Also, it was wrong to assume that I was suggesting that I am fit to fill such a position myself. I'm just presenting an idea. I don't mind being set right on the matter, but don't nail me to a cross here.

Good government in a perfect world would only do what was written in the preemble, form a more perfect union, provide for common defense, promote general wealfare. The less any government does, the better. If you have worked with berocrates, you know how they waste time and money filling out their precious forms. I often joke about developing a weapon which desolves all the paper in a several mile radius. Such a weapon would make me king, then everything would go smoothly as long as you no one trys to take it away from me. Penal colonies, anyone?

Most problems society faces could be well handled on a local basis. The more you centralize power the more rotten it becomes. Our system would work great if they all followed what the Constitution layed down with 3 branches checking each others powers. Now we have courts writting laws, the president has power to be a dictator under national emergency, ( don't blame Bush for this, from Rosevelt on through Jimmy Carter that coffin was built. Power corrupts, history proves it.

Here's a poem I wrote about it

COME DANCE THE CIRCLE

Until a time that fleeting dreams meet beds of fertile soil

And all the ageless faces turn from anger

The poor man’s back remains bent from his life of toil

But the wealthy still retain their swagger

This system of injustice leads a body’s blood to boil

Til the meekest of them all grasps a dagger

Can’t you see where this is leading

Don’t you know what this is breeding

That the crop that you’ve been seeding’s almost grown

Now history records the times repression had its rule

The common man was herded just like cattle

Power is the drug of choice for every ruthless fool

And every leading shaman shakes his rattle

To feed their boundless hunger they abuse us like a tool

A tool that becomes a sword in battle

The masses they are grumbling

While the mighty walls are crumbling

Till the ruthless kings come tumbling to the ground

The pens of graceful statesmen have produced great governments

Promise peace and safety to all classes

Til the germs of greed and power cause the mixture to ferment

Peace is just the rifle shot that misses

The common man is trod upon to such a great extent

Comfort’s just the rich upon their asses

The sheep have stopped their bleating

The Sunday morning greeting

Becomes the steady beating of war drums

Douglas W. Coulter 1994

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it

Good government in a perfect world would only do what was written in the preemble, form a more perfect union, provide for common defense, promote general wealfare. The less any government does, the better. If you have worked with berocrates, you know how they waste time and money filling out their precious forms. I often joke about developing a weapon which desolves all the paper in a several mile radius. Such a weapon would make me king, then everything would go smoothly as long as you no one trys to take it away from me. Penal colonies, anyone?

Most problems society faces could be well handled on a local basis. The more you centralize power the more rotten it becomes. Our system would work great if they all followed what the Constitution layed down with 3 branches checking each others powers. Now we have courts writting laws, the president has power to be a dictator under national emergency, ( don't blame Bush for this, from Rosevelt on through Jimmy Carter that coffin was built. Power corrupts, history proves it.

Here's a poem I wrote about it

COME DANCE THE CIRCLE

Until a time that fleeting dreams meet beds of fertile soil

And all the ageless faces turn from anger

The poor man’s back remains bent from his life of toil

But the wealthy still retain their swagger

This system of injustice leads a body’s blood to boil

Til the meekest of them all grasps a dagger

Can’t you see where this is leading

Don’t you know what this is breeding

That the crop that you’ve been seeding’s almost grown

Now history records the times repression had its rule

The common man was herded just like cattle

Power is the drug of choice for every ruthless fool

And every leading shaman shakes his rattle

To feed their boundless hunger they abuse us like a tool

A tool that becomes a sword in battle

The masses they are grumbling

While the mighty walls are crumbling

Till the ruthless kings come tumbling to the ground

The pens of graceful statesmen have produced great governments

Promise peace and safety to all classes

Til the germs of greed and power cause the mixture to ferment

Peace is just the rifle shot that misses

The common man is trod upon to such a great extent

Comfort’s just the rich upon their asses

The sheep have stopped their bleating

The Sunday morning greeting

Becomes the steady beating of war drums

Douglas W. Coulter 1994

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it

MajorD, I must commend you for placing one of the most eloquent posts that I've had the pleasure to read since I've been here at Hypography. I must offer you a belated welcome to this forum, I'm sure you will have many other fine posts to grace us with in the near future...................................infamous