Science Forums

What happens after life??

Tim_Lou

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice the very controlled tone of voice when I mentioned finding snakes there? Not a drop of sarcasm, I promise ;-)

Seriously, snakes, toads, frogs, newts, bugs of every variety, and tadpoles have all found their way into my laundry room (via my boy's pockets) in the last few months.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Originally posted by: Crazy Ed Anyway, it was a pretty wierd dream, and I think it showed me how I was gonna die.

You do however admit that it was a dream? Do you propose to have actually received a message from god?

could be, my dreams have always showed me things that will happen. (see the dreams thread in philosphy)

You don't KNOW what your dreams are/ were. What you KNOW is what you become aware of AFTER you wake up. You have no way of KNOWING what actually was being processed in your brain while you were asleep.

"Dreams" are what the conscious mind constructs to represent electrochemical processes of the brain during periods where the "conscious" mind is not active. When the "conscious" mind becomes active/ aware again, it wants the catch up and parses whatever stimuli data has accumulated. It then looks for pattern matches with existing data to allow comprehension by comparison. Pattern recognitin is the primary process of the brain. Taking stimuli and trying to find a match in previous experiences and hard wired connections. Thus we convert the less regulated mental activities taking place during sleep, while external stimulous is reduced, and turn them into movies when we wake up. Naturally those movies connect with things in the experience database we have accumulated.

We can also "recall" dreams at a later date, that may have had a very different movie made out of them at the time. i.e. we INVENT the dream based on a "feeling" that we actually had it. This has been demostrated many times in controled lab expereiments. In fact it was a major legal battle some years ago because of implanted recollections.

"Creating False Memories

Scientific American

September 1997, vol 277 #3

pages 70-75

In 1986 Nadean Cool, a nurse's aide in Wisconsin, sought therapy from a psychiatrist to help her cope with her reaction to a traumatic event experienced by her daughter. During therapy, the psychiatrist used hypnosis and other suggestive techniques to dig out buried memories of abuse that Cool herself had allegedly experienced. In the process, Cool became convinced that she had repressed memories of having been in a satanic cult, of eating babies, of being raped, of having sex with animals and of being forced to watch the murder of her eight-year-old friend. She came to believe that she had more than 120 personalities-children, adults, angels and even a duck-all because, Cool was told, she had experienced severe childhood sexual and physical abuse. The psychiatrist also performed exorcisms on her, one of which lasted for five hours and included the sprinkling of holy water and screams for Satan to leave Cool's body.

When Cool finally realized that false memories had been planted, she sued the psychiatrist for malpractice...."

http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/sciam.htm

If someone can invent this powerful of a false memory, think of how easy it is to fool yourself into thinking an event matches a dream you had.

There is nothing WRONG with this happening to someone. It is how our brains work. We just need to learn about things such as this so we can better understand what really IS happening around us. And not just what we might be fooled into thinking is happening around us. Optical illusions and magicians are fun to watch, but they only help develop a correct understandings of reality by giving a negative example to test against.

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

No offense to hyenas, Gahd...

Seriously, you sometimes remind me of that band of hyenas in the Lion King (which my lil ones were watching when I posted)...kinda smart, kinda sarcastic, kinda cynical, always laughing at someone (not in a malicious way though)... anyhow, that's how i used to see you, until i actuially got to 'see' you, thanks for the pic. Now i'll have to re-think the hyena thing. it really is wild how a different face can totally change our image of someone... maybe i should finish this thought in your new thread, huh???

LOL, ok now that the LK reference is made I understand, and I'll even agree. I was thinking "hyena? Am I that much of a scavenger?" I've always thought of myself as a Siberian Tiger or a Timber Wolf, but the hyena argument's kinda sticking to my brain. You really should finish up the thought in that new thread, it definatly falls in the category of "what's in a face?"

Originally posted by: Freethinker

"Dreams" are what the conscious mind constructs to represent electrochemical processes of the brain during periods where the "conscious" mind is not active. When the "conscious" mind becomes active/ aware again, it wants the catch up and parses whatever stimuli data has accumulated. It then looks for pattern matches with existing data to allow comprehension by comparison.

If this is the case, how do you explain the way I talk in my sleep about the things I'm dreaming about at the time? What about daydreaming?

NDEs are absolutely not dreams!!!!!

never did a NDE experiencer say that it is like dream.

all of them say that it IS realistic, unlike any dreams they had.

NDEs play an very important role in ones life,

no matter how long it is,

or how weird it is,

most of the experiencers experienced a great change in their life after NDEs,

and this is what makes NDEs special.

if NDEs are caused by drugs, that means that these changes are made by those DRUGs,

and i would like to have some of those. : P

Welcome back, riley!!

We missed you. Hope all is going well, and looking forward to your comments...but better keep it within the parameters of the topic, or UNC will go 'medieval moderator on your ***', I believe is the current saying....

anyhow, good to 'see' you again!

Originally posted by: GAHD

I've always thought of myself as a Siberian Tiger or a Timber Wolf,

Canadian "Siberian Tiger"? Timber wolf perhaps! lol.

Originally posted by: GAHD

Originally posted by: Freethinker

"Dreams" are what the conscious mind constructs to represent electrochemical processes of the brain during periods where the "conscious" mind is not active. When the "conscious" mind becomes active/ aware again, it wants the catch up and parses whatever stimuli data has accumulated. It then looks for pattern matches with existing data to allow comprehension by comparison.

If this is the case, how do you explain the way I talk in my sleep about the things I'm dreaming about at the time? What about daydreaming?

I tend to "talk in my sleep" at times also. In fact there have been times I was "concerned" about what I might have said because of the content of the current" dream. But typically find out that I was just mumbling. It is very seldom that the "talking" is anything coherent, much less actual words.

Also, if you understand the physiology of dreams, TRUE dreams take place during REM/ the deepest sleep. During that time, our bodies are intentionally "paralyzed", our muscle are "mentally locked" to protect ourselves.

Therefore "sleep walking" or talking happen at times that we are having mental activity other then true REM dreams.

"Dream Research, Sleep Disorders & Science of Dreams

Sleep-Related Disorders

.... Parasomnias are a class of disorders which include nightmares (which often occur during long REM periods), sleep walking and sleep talking, ... (which all occur during non-REM sleep,..."

http://www.dreams.ca/science.htm

You will also find:

"Sleep and Dreams

The Falling Asleep Process

Dreams Telling the Future?

Some people believe that dreams tell the future. But, when 6 billion people dream every night, there is bound to be a coincidence when there are trillions of dreams every year. Those people who have dreamed of winning the lottery are one of many."

http://www.biology-online.org/8/6_sleep_dreams.htm

And "day dreams" are just times that we are AWAKE, but not focusing on our immediate surroundings.

None of this provides any credibility to some metaphysical aspects to dreaming.

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

NDEs are absolutely not dreams!!!!!

No one said they were. However, they share certain physiological aspects.

never did a NDE experiencer say that it is like dream.

NEVER? So you ahve evaluated eveery report of everyone that has ever had an NDE? Incredible. Are you going to publish a book witth this obviously most extensive analysis ever made of NDE'rs.

all of them say that it IS realistic, unlike any dreams they had.

Again Tim, you don't seem to understand the difference between FACT and WISHES. You obviousl so desperately WISH NDE"s were something mystical that you are willing to amke all sorts of absurd claims about them as if making these claims lends credibility to them.

You need to learn to how to evaluate information and repesent details inf factual ways.

It is obvious in ANYTHING that "all of them say" is almost NEVER accruate. Especially in something as subjective as personal experience.

NDEs play an very important role in ones life,

Again Tim, you make wild claims as if there are facts behind them.

I would not argue that there are many people that have strong reaction to an NDE. That does not PROVE an NDE to be anything more than a well understood, totally natural, physiological reaction to specific external conditions. As all of the symptoms of NDE's can be caused by high "G" forcs in certrifuges or intentional application of certain drugs, those that expereince these NDE's do not try to apply some mystical cause to them. Thus they do not apply irrational levels of credibility to them.

There are many other situations where people experiencing well understood physiological reactions to natural stimulations, mistakenly evaluating the occurance as something paranormal/ metaphysical. e.g. Hundreds stare at the sun and then claim the eye's overstimulation to be visions of some supposed mother of a supposed god.

most of the experiencers experienced a great change in their life after NDEs,

and this is what makes NDEs special.

I can agree with this. Yes, many ("most" might be pushing the statistics) NDE'rs misunderstand what happened to them and do assign significantly more to it than they should. And this is what makes their personal NDE experience "special" to them.

This does not mean that NDE's are that "Special", just the mis-understanding of those that experience them and lack a factual understanding of what actually happened.

if NDEs are caused by drugs, that means that these changes are made by those DRUGs,

VERY GOOD!

and i would like to have some of those. : P

You DO have them. They are in your body already. It just takes specific, usually extremely physically stressful conditions. Such as being NEAR death. as in "Near Death Experience".

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

The topic title of this thread is "What happens after life", I think it is fair to say we are slightly off topic.

Boy, power sure goes to your head fast! lol

I think that dreams and NDE's can be on topic if not dragged too far out because of the duality discussion each can represent.

i was wondering if i could quote something in the book....

ok, here it is: (the experience of rodonaia)

"he could engage millenniums of exp via multi-dimensional simultaneity...he returned to the morgue and was drawn to the newborn section of the adjacent hospital where a friend's wife hadjust given birth to a daughter. the baby cried incessantly as if possessed of x-ray vision, rodonaia scanned her body and noted that her hip had been broken in birth...after the attending physicians in the autopsy unit quit screaming at the shock of seeing a dead body come back to life, they rushed rodonaia to emergency surgery...it took three days b4 he could finally move his tongue around enough to speak. his first words warned the doctor about the child w/ the broken hip. x rays of the newborn were taken, and he proved right! rodonaia remained hospitalized for 9 months, during which time he became something of a celebrity."

ok, next thing freethinker gonna say is that this book is lying.