Science Forums

Urantia Book - Who Could've Hoaxed This?

Turtle

Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?

• Yes; completely fictitious
    • No; it is written by "angels"
    • I can't decide
    • Some other option the poll lacks; will expound in thread

I thought this whole Urantia nonsense had been put to rest by now.

:phones::cheer:

The book, albeit advanced for its time, had no knowledge of plate techtonics, and subsequently its Earth origin is flawed.

While I can admire the enormous effort put into the book and its deception, as it is well over a 1,000 pages, and reads like a boring Bible..., it is so utterly nonsensical and convoluted, that one must have a disturbing mental illness to believe it.

I sat down and read the first 50 pages and realized that the Urantia is a complete waste of time.

Ah, so you have questioned TUB. What about it have you doubted? Have you found anything in it that you have concluded was wrong?

A social ceremony invented by the devil for the gratification of his servants and the plaguing of his enemies, :)

I'm the bear, I'm the bear, with brown fuzzy hair. I'm hiding from the lion, but he doesn't know where,

Buffy

Hi Buffy,

I actually did find something that might be an error. I'll check into it and get back with you, but, Turtle has been complaining about off topic posts here and a whole slew of posts have been relocated because of it.

What is the deal with the bears and lions and your ceremony invented by the devil?

I thought this whole Urantia nonsense had been put to rest by now.

:):)

The book, albeit advanced for its time, had no knowledge of plate techtonics, and subsequently its Earth origin is flawed.

While I can admire the enormous effort put into the book and its deception, as it is well over a 1,000 pages, and reads like a boring Bible..., it is so utterly nonsensical and convoluted, that one must have a disturbing mental illness to believe it.

I sat down and read the first 50 pages and realized that the Urantia is a complete waste of time.

It's probably evidence of a hoax simply because the Urantia guys couldn't even spell plate techtonics properly.

What is the deal with the bears and lions and your ceremony invented by the devil?

Sometimes, research is necessary in order to attain enlightenment...

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author, :)

Buffy

• 4 weeks later...
Sometimes, research is necessary in order to attain enlightenment...

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author, ;)

Buffy

'

Yes Buffy, and a bad forum tells us the truth about its administrators.

As I promised you earlier, I believe I did find an error in the Urantia papers, probably the only one.

102:8.4 "Ethics is the eternal social or racial mirror which faithfully reflects the otherwise unobservable progress of internal spiritual and religious developments. Man has always thought of God in the terms of the best he knew, his deepest ideas and highest ideals. Even historic religion has always created its God conceptions out of its highest recognized values. Every intelligent creature gives the name of God to the best and highest thing he knows."

I believe the word "eternal" was a transcription error and should read "external".

I believe the word "eternal" was a transcription error and should read "external".
Why do you believe this? Do you have another version of the text showing this transposition? Has an author, editor, or transcriptions of the text asserted that such an error has been made?

Why do you believe this? Do you have another version of the text showing this transposition? Has an author, editor, or transcriptions of the text asserted that such an error has been made?

I think the angels had it right and majeston is just another unbeliever and cannot be trusted with a truth as complete as the book of Urination.

As I promised you earlier, I believe I did find an error in the Urantia papers, probably the only one.

102:8.4 "Ethics is the eternal social or racial mirror which faithfully reflects the otherwise unobservable progress of internal spiritual and religious developments. Man has always thought of God in the terms of the best he knew, his deepest ideas and highest ideals. Even historic religion has always created its God conceptions out of its highest recognized values. Every intelligent creature gives the name of God to the best and highest thing he knows."

For once, I disagree with you. :hihi: I boldened the qualifying phrase 'has always', as I believe it is a continuation/extention/amplification of the use of the word 'eternal' in the previous sentence. Taken together, it is not inconsistent, and I therefore delara no error. ;) :doh:

Yes Buffy, and a bad forum tells us the truth about its administrators.

Why thank you for the compliment!

Its quite an honor when someone as enlightened and intelligent as you spends so much time on a modest forum such as ours: obviously we must be doing something right to make us so good that it's worth your time!

You will be worthy of the spectacle - as the spectacle is worthy of you, ;)

Buffy

happy birthday Jesus.

The Urantia Book -- Part IV. The Life And Teachings Of Jesus

PAPER 122: Section 8.

The Birth Of Jesus

P1351:5, 122:8.1 All that night Mary was restless so that neither of them slept much. By the break of day the pangs of childbirth were well in evidence, and at noon, August 21, 7 B.C., with the help and kind ministrations of women fellow travelers, Mary was delivered of a male child. Jesus of Nazareth was born into the world, was wrapped in the clothes which Mary had brought along for such a possible contingency, and laid in a near-by manger.

P1351:6, 122:8.2 In just the same manner as all babies before that day and since have come into the world, the promised child was born; and on the eighth day, according to the Jewish practice, he was circumcised and formally named Joshua (Jesus).

P1351:7, 122:8.3 The next day after the birth of Jesus, Joseph made his enrollment. Meeting a man they had talked with two nights previously at Jericho, Joseph was taken by him to a well-to-do friend who had a room at the inn, and who said he would gladly exchange quarters with the Nazareth couple. That afternoon they moved up to the inn, where they lived for almost three weeks until they found lodgings in the home of a distant relative of Joseph.

P1351:8, 122:8.4 The second day after the birth of Jesus, Mary sent word to Elizabeth that her child had come and received word in return inviting Joseph up to Jerusalem to talk over all their affairs with Zacharias. The following week Joseph went to Jerusalem to confer with Zacharias. Both Zacharias and Elizabeth had become possessed with the sincere conviction that Jesus was indeed to become the Jewish deliverer, the Messiah, and that their son John was to be his chief of aides, his right-hand man of destiny. And since Mary held these same ideas, it was not difficult to prevail upon Joseph to remain in Bethlehem, the City of David, so that Jesus might grow up to become the successor of David on the throne of all Israel. Accordingly, they remained in Bethlehem more than a year, Joseph meantime working some at his carpenter's trade.

P1352:1, 122:8.5 At the noontide birth of Jesus the seraphim of Urantia, assembled under their directors, did sing anthems of glory over the Bethlehem manger, but these utterances of praise were not heard by human ears. No shepherds nor any other mortal creatures came to pay homage to the babe of Bethlehem until the day of the arrival of certain priests from Ur, who were sent down from Jerusalem by Zacharias.

P1352:2, 122:8.6 These priests from Mesopotamia had been told sometime before by a strange religious teacher of their country that he had had a dream in which he was informed that "the light of life" was about to appear on earth as a babe and among the Jews. And thither went these three teachers looking for this "light of life." After many weeks of futile search in Jerusalem, they were about to return to Ur when Zacharias met them and disclosed his belief that Jesus was the object of their quest and sent them on to Bethlehem, where they found the babe and left their gifts with Mary, his earth mother. The babe was almost three weeks old at the time of their visit.

P1352:3, 122:8.7 These wise men saw no star to guide them to Bethlehem. The beautiful legend of the star of Bethlehem originated in this way: Jesus was born August 21 at noon, 7 B.C. On May 29, 7 B.C., there occurred an extraordinary conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn in the constellation of Pisces. And it is a remarkable astronomic fact that similar conjunctions occurred on September 29 and December 5 of the same year. Upon the basis of these extraordinary but wholly natural events the well-meaning zealots of the succeeding generation constructed the appealing legend of the star of Bethlehem and the adoring Magi led thereby to the manger, where they beheld and worshiped the newborn babe. Oriental and near-Oriental minds delight in fairy stories, and they are continually spinning such beautiful myths about the lives of their religious leaders and political heroes. In the absence of printing, when most human knowledge was passed by word of mouth from one generation to another, it was very easy for myths to become traditions and for traditions eventually to become accepted as facts.

119:8.9 [This paper, depicting the seven bestowals of Christ Michael, is the sixty-third of a series of presentations, sponsored by numerous personalities, narrating the history of Urantia down to the time of Michael's appearance on earth in the likeness of mortal flesh. These papers were authorized by a Nebadon commission of twelve acting under the direction of Mantutia Melchizedek. We indited these narratives and put them in the English language, by a technique authorized by our superiors, in the year A.D. 1935 of Urantia time.]

:naughty:

Christ was born seven years Before Christ? :D

Whatever. I find myself curious if you actually celebrate Christmas on August 21.

What does this UB scripture lesson have to do with who could've hoaxed this book of utter conjecture anyway?

This looks an awful lot like proselytizing to me, and this isn't the place for it. :eek2:

You're not likely to find any converts here, Maj. There are plenty of other forums out there full of weak minded individuals who are easy pickens and would probably be thrilled to join your clan.

• 1 month later...
___The Urantia Book, first published in the early 1950's, purports to contain discertations delivered by "angels" on God, creation, science, spirits, Jesus, etc.. At some 3,000 plus pages it's no easy read! B)

___So I want to know if you have heard of it? Read it? Have an opinion on it?

___I believe it is a hoax for the record so my question is "who could have hoaxed this?". Even though it was published in the 50's, it seems to have been written earlier; possibly in the 30's. By the writing style which is so cleverly convolute, & the broadness of the topics covered, I tend to think it is the work of an enclave rather than a single author.

___I do heartily recommend people read it in any case because it is if nothing else a very fine work of mystical science fiction. :)

Addendum: 30,000+ hits on Urantia

Unless you are into science fiction which I am not, I would consider this

book an entertainment. It makes more sense to me to watch a movie like

Star Wars or a great science fiction movie like Independence Day, now that

was a great movie. In that movie their was a scene where the people were

running in New York City when the E.T. was blowing up buildings. When I

saw the people running when the world trade center was coming down it did

remind me of the scene in the Independence Day movie except this time it

was real and shocking beyond belief.

• 10 months later...

i have a new track to follow as to the history & context of this hoax. :)

NOTE: please refrain from posting here, dear adherents of TUB, as the hoax aspect is not up for debate in this thread and the whining belongs in the Complications & Contradictions thread.

so, to paper #49 and the inhabited worlds & alien races. :) what follows is a re-write of my 3 posts from the aliens poll with additions. :cap:

Turtle says: :)

as far as i can tell, the whole extra-terrestrial races business really got going around 1877 with Schiaparelli's mars maps and the "lines" he saw on mars that he called canali.

Martian canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Some people went so far as to propose the idea that the canals were irrigation canals built by a supposed intelligent civilization on Mars. Percival Lowell was a strong proponent of this view, pushing the idea much further than Giovanni Schiaparelli, who for his part considered much of the detail on Lowell's drawings to be imaginary. ...

carrying this alien history a bit further beyond lowell, and tying it to the urantia book, is the work of edgar rice burroughs and specifically his exhibit at the columbian exposition of 1893 in chicago. serendipity there for me as i was googling lowell and columbia exposition to see if he exhibited there. never followed up as i found Burroughs instead. :dog:

ERBzine 1275: Remarkable Summer of '93 ~ Part I

curioser & curioser to quote another writer of fanciful creaturage. ;) ;) i admit to only a casual knowledge of mr. burroughs and his works, however even a smidgeon of association with Urantia puts me on high alert. phi phi pho phum, i smelt blood and tracked down some. :dog: :evil: :D seems ol' burroughs was born in chicago only 2 years before sadler. indeed. :clue: while he left for a number of years, lo the native son returned. :)

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following a period of drifting and ranch work in Idaho, Burroughs found work at his father's firm in 1899. He married Emma Centennia Hulbert in 1900. In 1904 he left his job and found less regular work, initially in Idaho but soon back in Chicago.[2]

By 1911, after seven years of low wages, he was working as a pencil sharpener wholesaler and began to write fiction. By this time Burroughs and Emma had two children, Joan and Hulbert.[3] During this period, he had copious spare time and he began reading many pulp fiction magazines and has since claimed:

"...if people were paid for writing rot such as I read in some of those magazines, that I could write stories just as rotten. As a matter of fact, although I had never written a story, I knew absolutely that I could write stories just as entertaining and probably a whole lot more so than any I chanced to read in those magazines."

Aiming his work at these pulp fiction magazines, his first story "Under the Moons of Mars" was serialized in The All-Story magazine in 1912[4][5] and earned Burroughs US$400 (roughly the equivalent of US$7600 in 2004). ...

as i say, i'm not very familiar with burrough's fiction, but i think a close inspection of his work and comparison to sadler's urantia book is in order, with a particular eye to their descriptions of alien races.

New stuff: i'm going to start with a re-read of paper #49 in my trusty hard-copy ub and if any one cares to go there on their own here is an online version. >> The Inhabited Worlds; The Urantia Book: Paper 49

next i'm going to read more biographical material on burroughs and try to find some of that early burroughs science fiction to read as well. i will leave no stick un-chased, no bush un-sniffed. the game is afoot! :dog: :dog:

so paper #49 is rather short and somewhat lacking of any specifics of alien races. how convenient! :D :shrug: nonetheless, i found a few to probe, :jab:, and here is one conspicuous example. :)

The Inhabited Worlds; The Urantia Book: Paper 49

...On the nonbreathing worlds the advanced races must do much to protect themselves from meteor damage by making electrical installations which operate to consume or shunt the meteors. Great danger confronts them when they venture beyond these protected zones. These worlds are also subject to disastrous electrical storms of a nature unknown on Urantia. During such times of tremendous energy fluctuation the inhabitants must take refuge in their special structures of protective insulation. ...

now i don't know if burroughs writes of electrical shields against meteors or not, but i do know that during our turn-of-the-century time-frame for sadler's producing urantia book, nikola tesla did.

Particle beam weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla

Nikola Tesla (1856 - 1943) was a noted inventor, scientist and electrical engineer. He invented Tesla coils, transformers, alternating current electric generators and was a major early pioneer of radio technology. He was also noted for making some remarkable claims, among them that he had developed what he called a "teleforce" weapon [3] The press called it a "peace ray" or death ray. [4] [5]

In total, the components and methods included [6][7]:

An apparatus for producing manifestations of energy in free air instead of in a high vacuum as in the past. This, according to Tesla in 1934, was accomplished.

A mechanism for generating tremendous electrical force. This, according to Tesla, was also accomplished.

A means of intensifying and amplifying the force developed by the second mechanism.

A new method for producing a tremendous electrical repelling force. This would be the projector, or gun, of the invention.

In 1937, Tesla composed a treatise entitled "The Art of Projecting Concentrated Non-dispersive Energy through the Natural Media". [8] This treatise is currently in the Nikola Tesla Museum archive in Belgrade. It described an open ended vacuum tube with a gas jet seal that allowed particles to exit, a method of charging particles to millions of volts, and a method of creating and directing non-dispersive particle streams (through electrostatic repulsion). [9]

Tesla worked on plans for a directed-energy weapon between the early 1900s till the time of his death. Records of his device indicate that it was based on a narrow stream of atomic clusters of liquid mercury or tungsten accelerated via high voltage (by means akin to his magnifying transformer). Tesla gave the following description concerning the particle gun's operation:

[The nozzle would] "send concentrated beams of particles through the free air, of such tremendous energy that they will bring down a fleet of 10,000 enemy airplanes at a distance of 200 miles from a defending nation's border and will cause armies to drop dead in their tracks". [10]

i have more reading on and of burroughs yet to do, but already my sense is any association i may find that he has with urantia is going to be sadler et al taking his ideas and twisting them into their knotty tale. one reviewer of burroughs made specific note that there was none of this religion business in his stories, right & wrong were clear and you stood by your friend in the right & fought.

this source is good for what i'm after and has that review as well as partial text of burroughs first mars books. :read: :clue: :eek_big: . . . . . . . :eek_big: >> Under the moons of Mars - Google Books

when i picked this up a few posts back, i put the creatures-on-other-planets flap at around 1877 with the Mars canals business. leafing through a mail solicitation for books today, i chanced on the contradiction to that & i now disavow 1877 in favor of 1835. yada yada i know, get on with it. :doh: fine. get a load of this. :hyper:

'The Sun and the Moon' by Matthew Goodman - Los Angeles Times

...One late summer morning in 1835, the people of New York City were greeted with the shocking news that life had been discovered on the moon. And not just an "animalcule" of the sort that was on display under a microscope at Scudder's American Museum at Broadway and Ann Street but a whole menagerie of celestial creatures: water birds, unicorns, beavers that walked upright, and a race of winged creatures dubbed "Vespertilio-homo, or man-bat."

As we read in Matthew Goodman's delightful history "The Sun and the Moon," all of New York was convulsed by this discovery. The newspaper offices of the New York Sun, which printed the series of articles revealing the findings, "was besieged by thousands of [newsboy] applicants from dawn to midnight" waiting for the opportunity for more papers to arrive.

The articles were so popular that a pamphlet, "A Complete Account of the Late Discoveries in the Moon," was hastily assembled and sold for 12 1/2 cents apiece and lithographs of "Lunar Animals and Other Objects" went for a quarter. P.T. Barnum, a former newspaper editor who knew a thing or two about a good hoax, claimed in his book "The Humbugs of the World" that the Sun sold no less than $25,000 worth of moon-hoax paraphernalia. An astounding number, considering the entire population of New York City was just a shade over a quarter-million.

while utrantia does not say man-bats explicitly in paper #49, they do mention there bats on earth when talking about flying alien races. elswhere in paper #49 urantia stipulates all mortal alien folk/creatures bleah bleah bleah are bipedal.

The Inhabited Worlds; The Urantia Book: Paper 49

It is both amazing and amusing to observe the early civilization of a primitive race of human beings taking shape, in one case, in the air and treetops and, in another, midst the shallow waters of sheltered tropic basins, as well as on the bottom, sides, and shores of these marine gardens of the dawn races of such extraordinary spheres. Even on Urantia there was a long age during which primitive man preserved himself and advanced his primitive civilization by living for the most part in the treetops as did his earlier arboreal ancestors. And on Urantia you still have a group of diminutive mammals (the bat family) that are air navigators, and your seals and whales, of marine habitat, are also of the mammalian order.

There are great differences between the mortals of the different worlds, even among those belonging to the same intellectual and physical types, but all mortals of will dignity are erect animals, bipeds.

the hunt continues. :clue: