Science Forums

Ideas Concerning Space Travel At High Speed.

Darky

Hi,

A force-field is mere fiction and not possible (It's a concept in Star-Trek to stop time dilation).

Not possible- yet.  

Becoming masters of gravity, to me, would be the ultimate solution to many problems, including creating force fields, and may be essential to overcoming time dilation.   Of course, I see much logic in Super Polymath's ideas, especially considering how we seem to be on a path to merging with our technology.  It may well be that his super post-humans will be able to figure it all out.

Hi,

The goal is to travel at interstellar speeds without losing time. .

The core question is, what is the goal of traveling at interstellar speeds?  Time dilation is only important if you want to build an interstellar society.  If all you want to do is spread our species out like a weed, time becomes unimportant.

Not possible- yet.  

Becoming masters of gravity, to me, would be the ultimate solution to many problems, including creating force fields, and may be essential to overcoming time dilation.   Of course, I see much logic in Super Polymath's ideas, especially considering how we seem to be on a path to merging with our technology.  It may well be that his super post-humans will be able to figure it all out.

No. You can't set up an energy bubble. There's always mini-EMP Shockwave going through the galaxies and electric storms. Doing such would be shut down almost instantaneously. So no, that is never an option

The core question is, what is the goal of traveling at interstellar speeds?  Time dilation is only important if you want to build an interstellar society.  If all you want to do is spread our species out like a weed, time becomes unimportant.

Hi,

By saving time, it is referring to as to keep communication and be able to come back to meet your friends and family while not being 60 years younger than them.

No. You can't set up an energy bubble. There's always mini-EMP Shockwave going through the galaxies and electric storms. Doing such would be shut down almost instantaneously. So no, that is never an option

To dismiss what we cannot currently accomplish as being simply impossible will limit mankind from discovering how much is achievable.  We have only begun to understand the forces of nature, so how can we know now what we may be able to do in the future.  

If you want interstellar travel in your lifetime, I find it very highly unlikely, but I wouldn't dare say completely impossible.

Hi,

Are you seriously, using 'Wikipedia' to contradict my proven statement? God, please no.

We use all of our brain regions and every cell. But its a question of white matter, ergo: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102169531

Autistic people have more GRAY matter and therefore can beat you in memorizing ****. Just like rainman, although he was retarded, not autistic. Einstein and High Laurie's House, and even the star of the adult cartoon Archer (Sterling Archer) -and he's basically Jason Bourne, all have asperger's syndrome, which is autism without the bad side effects like poor muscle control, epilepsy, speech impediment, or any serious impairments. But they all have brain damage.

But of you get brain damage or a pervasive learning disorder, overdosing on Dextromethorphan or taking PCP, or DMT, or overdosing on diphenhydramine, brain damage or smoking too much weed, the brain compensates by linking non-related brain regions together to get the job done. It's similar to synesthesia, in fact Daniel Tammet, a seemingly normal dude at the surface, has aspergers syndrome and synesthesia, he sees numbers a different shapes with different colors and can memorize the first 2,000 numbers of pi and other **** you can't even do with a calculator.

Sleep regenerates gray matter, your neurons. And finally, transcranial direct current stimulation can increase the electrical activity threshold of the brain, literally increasing how much information one can process at a time.

We use all of our brain regions and every cell. But its a question of white matter, ergo: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102169531

Autistic people have more GRAY matter and therefore can beat you in memorizing ****. Just like rainman, although he was retarded, not autistic. Einstein and High Laurie's House, and even the star of the adult cartoon Archer (Sterling Archer) -and he's basically Jason Bourne, all have asperger's syndrome, which is autism without the bad side effects like poor muscle control, epilepsy, speech impediment, or any serious impairments. But they all have brain damage.

But of you get brain damage or a pervasive learning disorder, overdosing on Dextromethorphan or taking PCP, or DMT, or overdosing on diphenhydramine, brain damage or smoking too much weed, the brain compensates by linking non-related brain regions together to get the job done. It's similar to synesthesia, in fact Daniel Tammet, a seemingly normal dude at the surface, has aspergers syndrome and synesthesia, he sees numbers a different shapes with different colors and can memorize the first 2,000 numbers of pi and other **** you can't even do with a calculator.

Sleep regenerates gray matter, your neurons. And finally, transcranial direct current stimulation can increase the electrical activity threshold of the brain, literally increasing how much information one can process at a time.

So you are saying Einstein has brain damage, and anyone who believes Einstein's science also has brain damage.

I had suspected this all along.

What I am curious though, is why brain damage increases your skills at math. My math skills could use a boost, so maybe I should become a drunk.

Hi,

Are you seriously, using 'Wikipedia' to contradict my proven statement? God, please no.

Meh. (Wiki is a convenient place to find a reference. Sure, the ("anyone can edit") information can be vandalised or just wrong, so it's fashionable to dismiss in the way you did, but it's a start. Any good Wiki article has it's own references in turn to source (outside wiki) materials. Anyway ...)

I saw where you wrote "It's confirmed", but must have missed your "proof". Do you have a good reference to support your assertion?

So you are saying Einstein has brain damage, and anyone who believes Einstein's science also has brain damage.

I had suspected this all along.

What I am curious though, is why brain damage increases your skills at math. My math skills could use a boost, so maybe I should become a drunk.

Well brain doesn't necessarily increase skills. Daniel Tammet is a one in 30 billion case. Einstein was just an aspie with a high IQ, but if you add a high IQ to the increased gray matter from his preexisting condition it's like a genius cocktail.

The reason top spectrum ASDs have more gray matter in their prefrontal cortex region is because they have damage in another region so to compensate this kicks the executive prefrontal cortex region into high gear, using logic to overcome an impaired ability to benefit from social dynamics.

That's how brain damage works to compensate. But you're still not overall better than the next person, you have a rare case where brain can do something unique.

Another aspect to the "we only use a fraction of our brain's full potential" is that our brains put less than half of the information they acquire from the 5 senses into memory, and only a fraction of our life's memories can be accessed, but we have them. Also, some people are sloppy,or disorganized, like Einstein who never did his hair. This indicates he might have accessed more long term information from his memory but that he also had a poor working memory. Which is also important because a good working memory allows you to adapt your IQ to all sorts of different kinds of problems, not just physics in the case of Einstein. The term polymath implies a mastery over all of the sciences.

As far as our cognitive abilities in general, the more chemicals, the more electricity, the more electricity, the more your brain can do - for instance access any memory, increase working memory, reflexes, or self-induce the exact same kind of synesthesia that makes Daniel Tammet able to learn Icelandic in a week. Which is why transcranial direct current stimulation is seen as a method for intelligence amplification https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2014/05/diy-brain-stimulation/amp/

Sorry, Darky, I sometimes forget that some people do not appreciate my sense of humor, however, I claim no credit in the idea of antigravity propulsion. Here is a link, with my apology. http://www.space.com/2026-antigravity-propulsion-system-proposed.html

I just had an idea how my idea for a hypervelocity electric sail could generate the anti-gravity beam in your article.

CraigD never did the math on that thing, but if these protons that basically move as fast as photons to acquire the mass of a 55 mph baseball and generate an electrical explosion when they hit our atmosphere could be harnessed into a space beam that propel a nano-sensitive electric sail. This sail could achieve the requisite velocity to generate an anti-gravity beam ahead of the pod it's pulling, since the pod would have more mass than the sail but would be too small to hold a crew or enough equipment or to self-replicate.

You place a larger space-craft that flies directly in front of the sail and by, the time the sail catches up with the spacecraft in front of it, the anti-gravity beam it's sending forward will catch, pickup, and push the larger spacecraft in front of it to .58 c.

In fact the craft in front of the sail could have a large heavy dense shielding (since the anti-gravity neutralizes its mass as it sustains velocities of 57.7 percent of the speed of life light) at the top that protects both spacecraft and the sail from the debris it's impacting as both spacecrafts coast at .58 c. The impacts won't be able to slow anything because space debris is getting push by the anti-gravity beam as well, so the two crafts will coast indefinitely even when the sail is outside of the augmented proton beam's range, and it's a good way to collect raw minerals for self-replication from the space debris that the anti-gravity beam picks up, as well. A fusion reactor aboard the larger spacecraft could power nano-assembly or reassembly processes. Bring it all together, you have quite the Von Neumann Probe.

That's about the fastest viable method involving any idea that isn't as bizarre as hyperspace or a warp drive.

Edited by Super Polymath

Well brain doesn't necessarily increase skills. Daniel Tammet is a one in 30 billion case. Einstein was just an aspie with a high IQ, but if you add a high IQ to the increased gray matter from his preexisting condition it's like a genius cocktail.

The reason top spectrum ASDs have more gray matter in their prefrontal cortex region is because they have damage in another region so to compensate this kicks the executive prefrontal cortex region into high gear, using logic to overcome an impaired ability to benefit from social dynamics.

That's how brain damage works to compensate. But you're still not overall better than the next person, you have a rare case where brain can do something unique.

Another aspect to the "we only use a fraction of our brain's full potential" is that our brains put less than half of the information they acquire from the 5 senses into memory, and only a fraction of our life's memories can be accessed, but we have them. Also, some people are sloppy,or disorganized, like Einstein who never did his hair. This indicates he might have accessed more long term information from his memory but that he also had a poor working memory. Which is also important because a good working memory allows you to adapt your IQ to all sorts of different kinds of problems, not just physics in the case of Einstein. The term polymath implies a mastery over all of the sciences.

As far as our cognitive abilities in general, the more chemicals, the more electricity, the more electricity, the more your brain can do - for instance access any memory, increase working memory, reflexes, or self-induce the exact same kind of synesthesia that makes Daniel Tammet able to learn Icelandic in a week. Which is why transcranial direct current stimulation is seen as a method for intelligence amplification https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2014/05/diy-brain-stimulation/amp/

I have einstein hair and bad working memory. Sometimes I will be drinking a juice bottle and then forget where I put it.

This is why multiplying our brain size by 3 times is essential. Einstein was smart but could not invent a spaceship to go .99c.

You are a smart guy, and a polymath, but at most you can get to is .58c.

Multiply your brain size by 3 times and you could get to .99 c in 5 minutes.

Edited by quickquestion

I have einstein hair and bad working memory. Sometimes I will be drinking a juice bottle and then forget where I put it.

This is why multiplying our brain size by 3 times is essential. Einstein was smart but could not invent a spaceship to go .99c.

I can only sprint at like 12 mph for 20 seconds tops, Usain Bolt can only sprint at 14 mph.

Not even close

Unless you're talking about how smarter physicists could figure out how to build faster spaceships. Which is obviously correct.

Nobody is smarter than anybody, skills are developed not innate. Wolfgang Von Geothe could outshine Einstein in anything not involving physics, but Einstein beats him at physics. Geothe was a polymath, Einstein was just a super physicist. If you want a super polymath you need intelligence amplification. No drawbacks, just hack the brain.

I can only sprint at like 12 mph for 20 seconds tops, Usain Bolt can only sprint at 14 mph.

Not even close

Unless you're talking about how smarter physicists could figure out how to build faster spaceships. Which is obviously correct.

Yeah i was saying if our brain was 3 times larger we could have a Cheap nasa that doesn't build exploding spaceships

and most our science questions would be answered after a few months only

Nobody is smarter than anybody, skills are developed not innate. Wolfgang Von Geothe could outshine Einstein in anything not involving physics, but Einstein beats him at physics. Geothe was a polymath, Einstein was just a super physicist. If you want a super polymath you need intelligence amplification. No drawbacks, just hack the brain.

you can upgrade a DOS computer but you can only go so far.

Logical thing is to upgrade the hardware.

Upgrading software in the hardware only goes so far.

A chimp can be taught to paint, but not make great paintings.

Edited by quickquestion

Some things don't extrapolate like that: https://xkcd.com/605/

i.e. there may be hard and fast limits to rocket science, regardless of how "smart" the rocket scientists are.

Assuming it's possible to "get to .99 c in 5 minutes", then assuming someone with 3 times the brain size could figure that out, is fantasy.

Some things don't extrapolate like that: https://xkcd.com/605/

i.e. there may be hard and fast limits to rocket science, regardless of how "smart" the rocket scientists are.

Assuming it's possible to "get to .99 c in 5 minutes", then assuming someone with 3 times the brain size could figure that out, is fantasy.

Eeh, the jist of what QQ's saying is right.

Smarter beings will know their limitations better, so they'll have what it's all about: innovation.

I.A. (intelligence amplification) will be the next trend as it could become the critical element of virtually every cutting edge science. The rest would be benefited by A.I. I.A. keeps us on top of things as we enter an A.I. singularity and things are changing faster. If you have machines making more intelligent machines, you should also have humans making more intelligent humans.

But eventually, mechanicals have the structural advantage (miniaturization) over biologicals.

Edited by Super Polymath