Science Forums

Illusion

Little Bang

One day I hallucinated, where the sitting room I was in disappeared and was replaced by a blue crystal type environment with a priest in and a pint of guinness. (I'm schizophrenic).

:) ;) :D

:edizzy: :) :note2:

:note: :) :note:

:) :o :(

:friday: :note: :cake:

The illusion was as real as reality. The Mind is capable of conjuring up anything.

How can a lump of grey cells produce consciousness, surely it's impossible?

Kizzi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were in the desert and you saw off in the distance what you thought to be a lake, the light we see from the lake is probably because of thermal gradients, if it is a mirage. So could we use that knowledge to determine if it was a mirage? An illusion/reality created by a consciousness may be fool proof because the consciousness can fill in any gaps we might use to determine it’s authenticity.

The illusion was as real as reality. The Mind is capable of conjuring up anything.
If you are able to remember "the other" reality during the halucination and vice versa, you know something's up. It would be somewhat different if you could remember nothing but the halucination. The way some animals perceive reality is somewhat different from our way and there might be slight differences between different people's perception. To each, reality is what they ordinarily perceive.

We do, however, have an inkling that our perception is but a representation of an underlying "something", for which Kant uses the term noumena, but we can only really suppose there must be this underlying substance.

If you had always been living in a halucination you would suppose that to be reality, although I doubt you would survive long in a false reality unless other real people were keeping you in such a state.

How can a lump of grey cells produce consciousness, surely it's impossible?
It's complicated, but not impossible.

There was a Taco Bell commercial on TV sometime in the last one to two years ago. It was about this delivery guy wearing a crash helmet and he is about to enter an elevator. This guy walks out of the elevator eating one of Taco Bell's something or other and the delivery guy is looking at it, the elevator door closes and he runs into the door. I had seen this commercial numerous times, then one day I see it again but this time the delivery guy gets caught between the doors. Now there are three possibilities that can explain this phenomena. #1 My memory is faulty. #2 There was more than one version of the commercial made. #3 There was some type of reality shift. If I were reading this from someone else, I would naturally pick #1 as the highest probability. I do not have an eidetic memory, but normally I'm pretty good at small details like that.

The managers hear the creative's idea, ending with:

the elevator door closes and he runs into the door.
and they buy it, the comercial is produced and aired for quite a while. Sometime later, either the same creative or someone else has the idea, why not...

the delivery guy gets caught between the doors.
Even better than before, the managers buy it and pay the producer to make the new version.

Quite often the creative might even have both ideas from the start and say "air this one for a while, then air the next version so the ending is unexpected...". This type of technique seems to be common today, it draws more audience attention to the product.