Science Forums

Www.one.org

Queso

WHAT IS THIS?

i see commercials for it all of the time.

a bunch of celebrities dressed in white talking about how together we can make a difference through voice, and not money. to stop poverty.

how are they figuring to do this? because it seems like a foolish attempt for the rich to make it look like they actually care about the poor.

i don't think they're going to get anything more than a publicity stunt.

could someone further explain to me this madness?

Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Easy - two solutions for the price of one.

Actually, what these idiots don't understand, is that poverty defines wealth. If it wasn't for poor countries, rich countries won't have anything to measure their wealth by. The same goes for individuals.

If everybody was given a cheque for a million dollars tomorrow, money would lose all value. The neighbour's kid won't come and mow your lawn for five bucks, 'cause he's a millionaire, and five bucks won't mean anything to him. If you pay him $10,000 he might consider it, though.

The only reason I can think of that celebrities will do this is 'cause they get more exposure, they improve their image as if they actually cared about the problem, or their agents told them to do it to downplay some of the negative publicity they have been getting the last while. Or they haven't been getting any publicity at all, and this is at least something. It's all about them.

I think it was Britney Spears (I might be wrong) who said about poverty and hunger in Africa: "I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all the flies and stuff". This shows the depth of so-called "celebrities"' grasp of the social issues they're trying to solve through such egocentric media campaigns such as the one you mentioned.