Science Forums

Physics Problem! Help

somebody

As my post count will reveal I am new at Science Forums. I have found many of the threads interesting and the site well constructed. What does bemuse is the tolerance for the self-opinionated, egotistical, socially inept boor who goes by the name of Uncle Al. That he chooses to use his intellect to denigrate persons who are trying to learn is to me wholly unacceptable. That this behaviour is tolerated leaves me wondering if this forum is for me.

Puzzled

Harzburgite

There is a perceptible difference between weak and crippled. If you are 5'4" you will never be a professional basketball player. To invest in such a person in that way is madness. If the OP needs physics for his major and these are his skills, he will die in place. Do better or get different major. If he is an art major and this is a required course, somebody in Management should be horsewhipped. Death is too good for the bastard.

In 1969 Michigan State University required 15 credits of German for a BS/Chem. Uncle Al suffered 15 credits of Bierstube German, got on the Student Council, and had a residential college offerTechnical German. All the petitions in the world could not accomplish what removing 10% of the German Department's revenue did in a stroke. Support evolution - shoot back.

Oo uncle please read, i was just giving an example about the art major and as far as i am concerned i dont have to go through this cr*p to get help with my questions. And physics is not my Major, and for that basketball player, i agree its a madness to get him into a team but if the player is smart he would put his ability somewhere else where he would get credit for his work!

There is a perceptible difference between weak and crippled. If you are 5'4" you will never be a professional basketball player. To invest in such a person in that way is madness. If the OP needs physics for his major and these are his skills, he will die in place. Do better or get different major. If he is an art major and this is a required course, somebody in Management should be horsewhipped. Death is too good for the bastard.
I strongly disagree with this sentiment. It smacks of elitism, a position that either denies, rejects, or misunderstands the impact of society on science.

Science depends not just of professional scientists, but on educated non-scientists with sound understandings of the nature of science. In the past 2 decades, public support of science in the US has decreased, while support of pseudo-science has increased. This is a reflection of the public's appreciation of science. If just half of high school-educated people could just define distance, mass, time, force, work, and power, and understand just a few of the implications of Special Relativity and Quantum Physics, I believe this situation would be reversed.

Getting through introductary college physical science and survey of modern physics classes is an important way that people acquire this understanding. They should not be discouraged.

You made a slight factual error in your post. The shortest player in NBA history was 5' 3" Muggsy Bogues, who played from 1987-2001.

Although I managed to trick you with some language subtulties in #1 and 2 slightly, your work was sound enough understanding that I didn’t feel the need to correct it. Here’re my answers:

1. “what would the baby weigh if it grew another 10% in each dimension?”

Your answer: it would be 115% of h,w,l so 1.15*1.15*1.15 =1.520875 m^3 . So the baby would wiegh 152.0875 N.

My answer: 154.0798875 N

By “what would the baby weigh if it grew another 10% in each dimension?”, I meant that the baby grew by 10% of his current, not original, dimensions. So each dimension would be 1.05 * 1.10, or 1.155.

2. “what would a 10 KG baby mass if it grew 25% in height, and 10% in girth?”

Your answer: ok for the second problem, 125% of height, 110% in growth and the weidth doesnt grow so its 100%. 1.25 * 1.10 * 1.00 = 1.375 so 1.375 * 10kg = 13.75 kg

My answer: 15.125 kg

“Girth” means combined width and depth – what you would measure if you used a tape measure – so you should have used 1.25 * 1.10 * 1.10.

3. “A bullet is fired with a muzzle velocity of 850 m/s, on level ground, from a height of 1.7 meters, on the surface of the moon, where the acceleration of gravity is 1.6 m/s^2. How far does it travel before striking the surface.”

You answer: d=1/2gt^2, 1.7m=1/2*1.6m/s^2*t^2, t=1.46sec, d=v*t, d=850 m/s * 1.46s d=1241 m … the bullet would travel 1241m and i think i am wrong!

My answer: you are correct!

It smacks of elitism, a position that either denies, rejects, or misunderstands the impact of society on science.

1) Elitism insists the better is preferable to the worse. Uncle Al is a vigorous elitist.

2) Society has no impact on science (unless you are in Lysenko's cheering section). Empirical reality simply is. The One True Church had inerrant religious doctrine and Galilieo had a telescope. Four of Jupiter's moons do not orbit the Earth and anybody can see that - whether clad in watered silk vestments or rags. The Vatican retreated to looking inward,

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/sunshine.jpg

Bush the Lesser can ban US stem cell research. Another better country wll succeed and the US will be left yet another notch behind. If you want your kids to succeed in their adulthood you are teaching them Mandarin Chinese right now. Patents? HA! Copyrights? HA! Enviro-whinerism? HA! Feminazi rule? HA! Queer rights? HA! Minority rights? HA! The Chinese believe in winning.

Victory is a monopoly of those with the strength and will to seize it.

shortest player: Tyronne "Mugsy" Bogues 5'3" Glad to see you area always right, Al.

As my post count will reveal I am new at Science Forums. I have found many of the threads interesting and the site well constructed. What does bemuse is the tolerance for the self-opinionated, egotistical, socially inept boor who goes by the name of Uncle Al. That he chooses to use his intellect to denigrate persons who are trying to learn is to me wholly unacceptable. That this behaviour is tolerated leaves me wondering if this forum is for me.

Puzzled

Harzburgite

Come now. Al occupies a special place on these boards, in my opinion. His boorish opinions and posts do prompt me to look deeper into his words, to think critically about what he says. He makes me think that no matter how idealized my view of the world may be it is inhabbited by folks just like good 'ole Uncle Al. Take it with a grain of salt...and a muscle relaxor...

jCc

OO thanks craidg i am here at library i understood the grith concept. And the first problem, lol you figure it out that i was still going with the original size of the baby.

it is a shame that i did got the projectile problem right eventhough i didnt do many of those, oo well. I call this topic resolved no further discussion! :xx:

Glad to see you area always right, Al.
I hardly bother correcting his mistakes, including the remark about Galileo and the church. His style is at least amusing and I partly agree with his prophesy about China, we'll be needing to watch ourselves!

I hardly bother correcting his mistakes, including the remark about Galileo and the church. His style is at least amusing and I partly agree with his prophesy about China, we'll be needing to watch ourselves!

I kick myself on a daily basis for passing up an investment opertunity in China. I would be stinking rich now, had I seen the potential 7 or 8 years ago....

guys need help is there any way to stop all those e-mail that i been getting in my e-mail adress about the replying the thread which was posted by me?

every time some one replies they just keep sending me emails about it. :xx:

Click "User CP" near the top of the page.

Click "List Subscriptions" under "control panel" on the left of the page.

Check the boxe(s) next to the subscription(s) for which you don't want email notification.

Chose "no email notification" in the "Selected Threads" dropdown at the bottom of the list.

Click "Go".

guys need help is there any way to stop all those e-mail that i been getting in my e-mail adress about the replying the thread which was posted by me?

every time some one replies they just keep sending me emails about it. :xx:

I changed your notification to 'none'. If you want daily or weekly notification on active threads you are subscribed too you can set that in your User Control Panel.

Thanks for helping somebody out Craig....