Science Forums

For those who love mathemactics!!!

Hi! This post is mainly for those who love mathematics.

I think this question that I shown below will prove your talents in Trigonometry and in Mathematics.

"The length of a string between a kite and a point on the ground is 68m. If the string makes an angle X with the level ground such that tanX = (15/8), how high is the kite?"

The ANSWER is 60M. Thatz the only answer.

i don't know what your schooling is but I study physics at university and there are many others here who study mathematics, physics, chemistry and have already finished your question is really trivial:

sin(arctan(15/8))*68=h where h is the height you seek.

Nothing against posting riddles, but they have to be challenging....

i don't know what your schooling is but I study physics at university and there are many others here who study mathematics, physics, chemistry and have already finished your question is really trivial:

sin(arctan(15/8))*68=h where h is the height you seek.

Nothing against posting riddles, but they have to be challenging....

Well.. Sanctus, I think you hav tried and answered my question. I really appreciate it. But, The answer that you gave me is absolutely wrong.

So, I think you better giv it another try. Best of Luck.

Thank You!!!

But, The answer that you gave me is absolutely wrong.
I really don't see where Sanctus went wrong.

Of course, there is an alternative method, using proportions and Pythagoras, but neither of the two is actually wrong.

___I'm poor at trig, ;) but I don't like riddles ;) & I fly kites a lot. ;) Unless those trig expresions describe a cantenary, I'd say they're wrong. ;)

___In all my kite flying years, I don't recall ever seeing a kite string take a consistant curve from kite to ground; too many other levels of winds & eddys. If you want the altitude of a kite, forget the length of the string & either use an altimeter attached to the kite or take sightings with a clinograph.

___What kind of kite is it. by the by?

True considerations, T, ;) .

Of course, "for those who love mathematics", the only good alternative is the clinograph, providing air isn't too refractive and nearby mountains aren't deviating your plumb line! ;)

___Some further relflection on the dynamics of a kite string which affect how high the kite flys for a given length of string.

___The parameters of the string; material, twist, braid, elasticity, water absorption, aerodynamic drag cooeficient, weight per unit length ratio, to name a few.

___Parameters of weather; varying wind speed as mentioned above, varying wind direction, decrease in air density with climb in altitude, differing relative humidty at varying levels.

___Parameters of the kite; the principle parameter affecting the tension on a kite line aside from the kites surface area, dihedral, material permeability & stiffness etc, is the kite bridle. A static bridle will straighten the kite line if the force on the kite increases, wheras a dynamic (self adjusting) bridle with spill air from the kite & the line stays relatively in the same position.

___Any more? :hihi: